Are LG TVs a good make?!

Options

Comments

• donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oakey22 wrote: »
    donna, trust me you can tell the difference, if you dont believe me come round and take a look at the HD channels and the normal one's. The HD are so crisp and vibrant while the normal sky channels you can see the quality is just not razor sharp.

i couldnt see a difference on my relatives old tv when i switched from sky sports 1 to sky sports hd1. the last time we visited was the first time we saw their new tv. the first thing i noticed was the quality of the picture when the football started.
  • Oakey22
    Oakey22 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    Direct from sky's website, they do broadcast at 1080 but it is 1080i which is not to be confused with 1080p. interlaced is not Full HD.
    1. I've heard there are two HD formats. What's the difference between them? HD-ready TVs come in two main resolutions: 720 and 1080 line resolutions. If you're buying a large screen (anything over 37 inches) you’ll need a TV displaying 1080 lines to experience the best quality that Sky+HD can bring you.
    2. Will the 1080i format produce a better picture than 720p because it offers more horizontal lines? Not necessarily, because some types of programme are best suited to 720p, while others look better in 1080i. Sky+HD will support both 720p and 1080i to allow programme makers to choose the best format for their programmes.
  • Oakey22
    Options
    i couldnt see a difference on my relatives old tv when i switched from sky sports 1 to sky sports hd1. the last time we visited was the first time we saw their new tv. the first thing i noticed was the quality of the picture when the football started.

a friend has a 32" LG LCD and you can tell the difference between HD and normal Tv on that, i think you must be about the only person who can not see a difference. Did you know not all sport on sky sports HD1 is in HD, some is in normal broadcast the same as sky sports 1.
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    i guess another question would be is there any real difference between 1080i and 1080p.
    it seems odd that they say 720 is sometimes better than 1080 dont you think. they say they leave it to the programme makers to decide. could it just be a way of conning people so they can save money by making it in 720 instead of 1080.
  • Oakey22
    Options
    donna, 1080i and 720p are totally different, in the US they make it in 720p so it makes sense to broadcast that in that, also sport is a lot better in 720p than it is in 1080i as images are moving faster.

a little bit i found out.
    Interlaced scanning produces a still picture field, or a ‘frame’, by scanning two sets of alternating lines. Progressive scanning creates a frame in one pass. If both are moving at the same rate “refreshing” the screen at the same number of passes per second, that gives progressive scanning the advantage, because it scans a complete picture ‘frame’, not half a picture ‘field’. It produces fewer dots and lines, but at twice the speed. So now it’s a question of timing. As ABC’s FAQ touches on: The number of lines of resolution in progressive and interlaced pictures is not a clear cut comparison. In the time it takes 720p to draw 720 lines, 1080i draws only 540 lines. And by the time 1080i does draw 1080 lines, 720p has drawn 1440 lines.

The truth is that 1080i and 720p each look better in different situations. The 1080i format is better at producing fine detail in still frames and pictures with little or no motion. Regardless of how long it takes to produce a picture, that picture has more lines, more dots. But this works well only as long as nothing moves
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i guess another question would be is there any real difference between 1080i and 1080p.
    it seems odd that they say 720 is sometimes better than 1080 dont you think. they say they leave it to the programme makers to decide. could it just be a way of conning people so they can save money by making it in 720 instead of 1080.

i is INTERLACED (half the picture followed by the other half) and p is PROGRESSIVE (FULL picture in one go)
    Its actually down to how well the tvs can convert i INTO p as EVERYTHING is viewed in full progressive.
    Most tvs do it badly so 720p would look better than 1080i
    Those that CAN convert well should have a better 1080i picture (Though it depends how many pixels the tv has and how well it can 'SCALE' them too (Confusing I know))
    :idea:
  • Oakey22
    Options

yeh 1080p will be superior quality if you can get a 1080p source.

1080p means you have the full 1080 lines every 1/50th of a second, whereas with 1080i you only get half the lines every 1/50th of a second (equivalent to 1080 lines sent every 1/25th of a second).

1080p essentially means you are sending twice as much data in the same time, which will use up twice as much bandwidth.
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oakey22 wrote: »
    yeh 1080p will be superior quality if you can get a 1080p source.

1080p means you have the full 1080 lines every 1/50th of a second, whereas with 1080i you only get half the lines every 1/50th of a second (equivalent to 1080 lines sent every 1/25th of a second).

1080p essentially means you are sending twice as much data in the same time, which will use up twice as much bandwidth.

1080p is actually every 1/25th (Or 24th with blurays and hd-dvds), making the FULL pictures the same time
    :idea:
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    well as i havent been able to see a really good picture on certain 720p tvs the questions is what else to look for when buying a tv. does it need to be 100hz or can a 50hz tv still have a great picture. is it the dynamic contrast that is important. what is the minimum level to look for.
    i am currently saving to replace our current tv.
  • Oakey22
    Options
    You need to goto a few shops and have a look at what YOU think looks best, at the end of the day it is you having to watch it, not anybody else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure