Dell- Anyone got caught by bit price reduction within hours of ordering

Options
Last night I ordered a lap top from Dell. Today they sent me an e-mail saying if I order today they will give me a free printer. I then checked the Dell web site and find that not only are they giving a free printer but the price is not £48 cheaper.
I tried to phone but it was after 7 and they were closed, so send an e-mail to cancel.
Does anyone know, can I cancel within 24 hours.
Has anyone else had a similar problem and what was the outcome.

Did post on wrong board - sorry do not know how to move so posted again.

Comments

• poppysocks1
    Options
    Joe

I looked on https://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk and "Shopping from Home" - it states the following:
    "If you don't like the goods or have changed your mind, you can cancel the order. This is usually within a seven-day 'cooling-off' period. (Please note that the rules for financial services (including consumer credit) may allow a different withdrawal period. Please contact Consumer Direct for further advice). Refunds after cancelling - If you have already paid for the goods or services, the seller must refund your money within 30 days of you cancelling the agreement".

The fact that you have already sent the email has acknowledged the cancellation and I would also phone Dell tomorrow to confirm that it has actually been cancelled. Once you are certain it has been cancelled then place the order again and get the free gifts - good luck, let us know how you get on.

btw, i have ordered on line and then cancelled an order before with no problem.

Hope this helps!!
  • Squiffy
    Squiffy Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The distance selling regulations give you the rights to cancel, so you should be find to cancel & then re-order on the better deal.
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Options
    Of course you can, as already mentioned you are allowed to under the Distance Selling Regulations. Just call up tomorrow and say you want to cancel.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • paul666
    Options
    The 7-day refund thing only applies if it's a standard or stock item.
    Some PC suppliers will say that it's a custom build item if you alter *any* options and as such they don't have to offer a refund...
  • pin
    Options
    paul666 wrote:
    The 7-day refund thing only applies if it's a standard or stock item.
    Some PC suppliers will say that it's a custom build item if you alter *any* options and as such they don't have to offer a refund...

Dell are actually quite good about cancellations, especially if the order has not been shipped out, so I don't think the OP will have any problems cancelling with them.

Dell may even offer the price reduction when the OP calls up (as has happened to me in the past).
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah make life easy just phone up and ask for the free printer and the reduced price, instead of cancelling the order. You could ask for a reference no. name and a confirmation by email too, just to be sure.
  • joe13
    joe13 Posts: 501 Forumite
    Options
    I telephoned Dell today, they tell me my order was passed to the carrier today although delivery will not be until December 1st. This would be less than 48 hours after ordering. I am not sure if I believe this They claim not to have received the 2 e-mails I sent yesterday cancelling this order. I told them I am happy to accept if they can give me the free printer as well. They refused.
    I asked to speak to a manager and was passed over to a voice-mail service. I have sent another e-mail stating that I still consider the order cancelled. But no reply to this e-mail either.
    Where do I go now.
  • Squiffy
    Squiffy Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    The distance selling regulations give you the right to cancel even after delivery. The regulations say that whether you have to pay for the return cost of the goods will be specified in the sellers Terms & Conditions, so check the Dell website. I'm sure they'll have covered themselves so you would normally have to pay the return costs.

In this case, I believe that you could make a case that you cancelled before despatch, and therefore they are required to pay for (or even collect) the goods. It is not your fault if they did not act on your instructions to cancel.

Also, they passed to the delivery company today, but it won't be delivered till 1st December? This sounds very dubious to me - I believe they are just trying to fob you off as they don't want the hassle of cancelling the order.
  • pin
    Options
    This is a bit strange of Dell, they are normally quite good at cancelling orders. When I threatened to cancel my order, although it had a already be sent to the delivery company, I was straight away offered a £30 credit if I accepted the order (which is what I did).

On the timings, they actually seem about right. One has to remember it is the weekend tomorrow and November has only 30 days in it. Remember the order will be coming from Ireland. Therefore goods to Irish depot, shipped over to UK main depot, sent to local depot, and then delivered to customer. Can't include the weekends in this period.

I would try and call again.
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    If you go to the dell site and click on order status and put you customer and order number in,it should tell you if it has been "dispatched".
    These printers come up on a regular basis for £10.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure