Dog Racing 1p Meal Deal

Options

Comments

• mutley_muppet
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Dog racing is not against the law, this is a grabbit, that should have been the end of it....the animal cruelty issue is for another place, but not here.

People spending 1p on entry and a meal are hardly supporting dog racing!

Do you/would you also post the same stuff if this was a grabbit to cheap entry for horse racing

But most people wont be just spending 1p will they? The whole idea of these promos is to get you in with a 1p meal, then you end up paying for a race card, expensive drinks and putting a bet on??

Yes, I am also concerned about how many horses are discarded after their racing career.

By the way, I just read on a greyhound racing forum that the 1p deal website isn't secure so whatever details you put in can be read by anyone with a little technical knowledge!!! :eek:

So if you are going for this, dont put your real details in!!
    "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again."

Stephen Grellet, (1773-1855).
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    But most people wont be just spending 1p will they? The whole idea of these promos is to get you in with a 1p meal, then you end up paying for a race card, expensive drinks and putting a bet on??

Yes, I am also concerned about how many horses are discarded after their racing career.

By the way, I just read on a greyhound racing forum that the 1p deal website isn't secure so whatever details you put in can be read by anyone with a little technical knowledge!!! :eek:

So if you are going for this, dont put your real details in!!

They only ask for a name and an email address, and there are often 2 for one offers for horseracing and both nectar and tesco clubcard offer horse racing for points, ie £5 of points will get a £20 entry ticket for the races.
  • nihcaj
    nihcaj Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    dervish wrote: »
    what a lot of lefty nonsense.

Lefty? Now there is stereotyping for you - I will get a few laughs when I tell people that one!

Oddly enough, dog racing I always saw as just about THE single most working class, thereby left wing supporters activity there IS left,and I thought it was this historical hangover that operators were doing their best to dispel! Cloth caps and whippets and that sort of thing, not a polo pony in sight!

How times change?
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nickmack wrote: »
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: While it’s easy to wander off-topic that often prevents newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see this rule). Please keep this thread on topic. If you’d like to discuss non-MoneySaving related topics please continue your discussion in The MoneySavers Arms or Discussion Time. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="%20abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com."]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/email][/EMAIL].

The easiest way for this thread to be kept on-topic is for you to remove all the irrelevent rubbish. I trust you will be doing that?
  • mutley_muppet
    Options
    LesD wrote: »
    The easiest way for this thread to be kept on-topic is for you to remove all the irrelevent rubbish. I trust you will be doing that?

Les, I don't understand why you are so keen to have posts removed from this thread? People are entitled to say what they think of the deal, good or bad?

Don't you understand that this discussion is keeping this item at the top of the grabbit board and so making it easier for newbies to find? All the info is still there in the first post so what's the problem??

I'm not asking for your posts to be removed, we all need a good laugh after all!! :D
    "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again."

Stephen Grellet, (1773-1855).
  • photome
    Options
    Les, I don't understand why you are so keen to have posts removed from this thread? People are entitled to say what they think of the deal, good or bad?

Don't you understand that this discussion is keeping this item at the top of the grabbit board and so making it easier for newbies to find? All the info is still there in the first post so what's the problem??

I'm not asking for your posts to be removed, we all need a good laugh after all!! :D

But you are not saying what you think of the deal!...It is a good moneysaving deal the rest is up to the individual, but this is a moneysaving site and this is the grabbit board. not an animal rights forum
  • truman_sparks
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    But you are not saying what you think of the deal!...It is a good moneysaving deal the rest is up to the individual, but this is a moneysaving site and this is the grabbit board. not an animal rights forum

Nothing wrong with giving an opinion on how good a deal is, some people look for value (big picture) not cheapness. opinions are on virtually every thread on this forum, What is strange is that people are asking for posts to be removed because they have a different view.

The deal is what it is, opinions have been voiced as to why it isnt a deal which many of us would take. People can now make a choice having read plenty of information about this industry, some will put themselves first, some the welfare of others (inc animals).

To argue that a grabbit should be untouchable and based purely on cost is morally void. I would hope the same reaction would be given to a grabbit for products involving child labour.

Sadly, I fear plenty of people would only be bothered about what they can get out of that deal and the same "remove the posts" arguments made.

Debate is good, people make their own mind up if information is their for them, you can carry on ignoring it if you choose, but why do you feel the need to stop others deciding for themselves?

I suspect those who are against debate are the ones who cant win one but i might be wrong. ;)
  • nooksky
    nooksky Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have booked up my tickets, going to be a cracking night can't wait!!!
    *Don't let the b******s get you down ;) *
  • photome
    Options
    Still available
  • simonbagger
    Options
    I have owned racing dogs, one of which still lives with my mother. A night out at the dogs is both exciting and entertaining for all the family. the 1p offer is a great deal for an inexpensive night out. Yes, Dog racing has had some bad press but doesn't every sport, pastime or interest have a minority of people who think they can beat the system. In my experience the dogs i have been involved with or known have been well looked after in terms of health and fitness at professionally run kennels. I will own racing dogs again in the future.....once the credit stops being crunched !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure