Need two tyres!

Skint_Catt
Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
Hi Guys,

Anyone know of some reasonable garage chains or offers going at the mo for tyres?

Don't really want to go down the mailorder route as it's just hassle at the mo.

I need 2 x 185/60/R14H and the best price I've got so far is £60 all in.

S_C

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Sounds ok,

Have you considered remoulds? Don't believe the doom and gloomers, remoulds are type approved and will be safe and last just as long.
  • Skint_Catt
    No, I haven't but for the mileage I do and the (low) speeds I do they might be perfect - where would I find remoulds?

S_C
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Same place as you have allready looked. Unfortunatly you will have to ring around again.

I usually ask after giving the tyre size - "What's your cheapest budgets?" then "Do you do remoulds?" and of course make sure the price quoted is all inclusive of vat, fitting, balancing and new valve.
  • ciano125
    ciano125 Posts: 492
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you tried http://www.blackcircles.com/ They do fitting as well as mail order I think.
  • Skint_Catt
    Yes, thanks but more expensive than £60 all in.

S_C
  • I recently bout 4 new Pirrellis for my Focus and Kwik Fit wanted nearly £100 a piece. So I phoned just local garages where the ceapest was £55 and Kwik Fit price matched so I can them as cheap as else where with confidence they would be fitted properly with tracking and all that!
  • try this site they deliver tyres to you or to a fitter at nominal cost https://www.mytyres.co.uk hope this helps. :D
  • you could try a scrapyard.i got two really good tyres(on wheels)to fit my car for £10 each.they even take them off for you if you ask.
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I use Protyre. I pay £50 per wheel fitted all in for Goodyear F1s (performance tyre), but then again I'm not prepared to skimp on tyres because cheap tyres don't grip well in the wet.
    Happy chappy
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As the poster above has pointed out, skimping on tyres (or any saftey critical componant) is not recommended. If others wish to run on remoulds (i'm aware that upwards of 90% of commercial airliners use them), and are happy to do so, let them. for your personal saftey and that of other road users please don't seriously consider tyres from a scrapyard. You have no idea of the history and how the vehicle came to be in the scrap yard...imho thats too high a risk to take.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport