proof of posting

Options
When you get proof of posting what are you given? is it just a receipt for the costs or does it have a date and address on it? i.e. could you send an envelope to yourself and get 'proof of posting' and then claim the proof of posting relates to a letter you sent to Joe Bloggs?

When you send recorded delivery, how do you confirm delivery took place, and how do you get material proof & proof of signature? Does this cost extra?

Comments

• shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I get POP, I get a receipt, with the date, time, address & weight on it.

With recorded, you can check on the Royal Mail website, by entering the tracking number. Note though, this doesn't always work as I've sent parcels before and had the recipient tell me they have received it, but the tracking online tells me nothing at all!

With the tracking on the RM site, if it says it has been delivered on X date, then there is a tab you can click to see the proof of signature.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • catmiaow
    catmiaow Posts: 5,954 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Better to post by special delivery if its an item over £36 to cover yourself, i used to send stuff by recorded about 4 times a week and if i am lucky only one of them showed as delivered.
    No you're not a vegetarian if you eat any animal or fish, so do not insult genuine veggies by calling yourself one! :mad:

Thanks to everyone who posts competitions. You are the stars of the board :T:j:T
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,328 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    catmiaow wrote: »
    Better to post by special delivery if its an item over £36 to cover yourself, i used to send stuff by recorded about 4 times a week and if i am lucky only one of them showed as delivered.

That's my experience as well, recorded isn't worth the 72p that the PO charge for it..although if you make a RM claim for no signature for each one delivered but not signed for you can get a book of 1st class stamps in compensation.

OP, for a Royal mail claim for item not received you need proof of posting stamped by the Post office which shows the address of the person the item was sent to. This cna either be a special till receipt they can issue which they fill in by hand, or a pre preared sheet of names of addresses on a form P326 (certirifacte of posting)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    That's my experience as well, recorded isn't worth the 72p that the PO charge for it..although if you make a RM claim for no signature for each one delivered but not signed for you can get a book of 1st class stamps in compensation.
    I was going to ask about complaining for no signature, you answered my question.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,959 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    OP, for a Royal mail claim for item not received you need proof of posting stamped by the Post office which shows the address of the person the item was sent to. This cna either be a special till receipt they can issue which they fill in by hand, or a pre preared sheet of names of addresses on a form P326 (certirifacte of posting)

Whenever I ask at my local post office for a proof of posting, they give me a normal receipt and handwrite the postcode on it. Would this count in the event of a claim?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Mayday
    Mayday Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to pull this one up again, but it's relevant to my query.
    elsien wrote: »
    Whenever I ask at my local post office for a proof of posting, they give me a normal receipt and handwrite the postcode on it. Would this count in the event of a claim?

This happens every time I use the village PO - he won't stamp the P326 Certificate of Posting as he says they're now obsolete. But if I use the main PO in town, they quite happily stamp the P326!

So who's right??

I'm asking as I've had quite a few sales to the EU, and I need the P326 stamped - just in case :)
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Sorry to pull this one up again, but it's relevant to my query.

This happens every time I use the village PO - he won't stamp the P326 Certificate of Posting as he says they're now obsolete. But if I use the main PO in town, they quite happily stamp the P326!

So who's right??

I'm asking as I've had quite a few sales to the EU, and I need the P326 stamped - just in case :)

In my PO they just print out a proof and you fill in the details yourself.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,328 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have also been told that the pads of COPs are obsolete and about a year ago I phoned customer services on the 'order number' on the useful tips thread and asked. They said they were still issuing pads on request to POs and they were not aware that they were to be phased out.

It seems that some POs really do believe these are no longer valid, yet others, including all the ones I mainly use, are still happy to supply and stamp them for me.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jus71_2
    jus71_2 Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    I rang Royal Mail about this recently and they said the sub post offices dont accept them anymore, but the main ones do
  • oblio_2
    Options
    For what it's worth, I've been using the Certificate of Postings for years, and regularly just ask for a stack of blank ones to take home, so that I can fill them in as and when and spend less time at the Post Office counter. I've never had anyone at a main or sub post office refuse to stamp them for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure