Talktalk Broadband - 12 month contract

Options
How binding is this as they have overcharged me every month (no prob getting credit) for the service but I a p****d off with them ? What/how difficult can they make my migration ?
It pays to challenge

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I was looking at Talktalk broadband. Apart from the overcharging, what is their service like? Is the connection reliable?
  • sabelu
    sabelu Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    very reliable, yes good.
    It pays to challenge
  • mcmurphy
    Options
    hi. haven't posted on here before, although have lurked for ages. however, felt compelled to let you know about this isp. i would strongly recommend you stear clear of talk talk. they have overcharged me on several occasions. i have the phone package as well, which means i get several bills from them each month, which can be confusing. their customer service is a rip off. if anything goes wrong you have to dial an expensive premium rate number to get it sorted out. i think they give you about 2 weeks or so at the beginning where you can call a cheaper number, but after that it is much more expensive. they employ port throttling, which means filesharing or playing online games during peak hours is useless. for me, this is a big deal. they haven't replied to countless emails asking them why they haven't set up our free web space. the list goes on. they are useless. i can't wait for my 12 months to be up.
  • mcmurphy
    Options
    oh yes, and it took forever for them to upgrade my line to 1mb. i mean weeks. they still call me every now and then to tell me i am on 512kb and should be on 1mb. speed tests beg to differ.
  • dan2002
    dan2002 Posts: 535 Forumite
    Options
    yes I can confirm, if you do any file sharing forget talktalk they stop my downloads between 1600 hours and 0000 hours mon to fri and 1200hours to 0000 hours sat and sun,so if they tell you unlimited downloads ,then they will do there best to stop you in other ways :mad: :mad: you could be like me stuck with them for another 6 months
  • Skeeto_2
    Options
    I was with Talk Talk for the past year, on 512k service.

The conection was good (primarily because they provide you with a 1mb service which they then cap at 512k). The 512k speeds are therefore comparatively fast. Why it takes so long to upgrade i don't know.

However, the previous poster is right, Talk Talk advertise as uncapped but in the small print they have a veto whereby P2P filesharing, and other high usage activities are throttled. It depends I suppose on what you are looking for.

For simple web browsing it is more than fine. For me, I wanted to upgrade to 1mb but was angry that I couldnt get the same deal as new customers.

I have taken my business to Metronet. Top drawer company, 2mb for under £19 per month (completely uncapped), with the only precursor that you pay as you go once you have downloaded 10gb (unlikely I will do that).

Also, 1 monthly contract so you can leave when you want. Took me 6 days to migrate from Talk Talk, who admittedly supplied my MAC code immediately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure