Returning a mobile phone to Tesco

Options
We purchased a mobile phone from tesco last week, my wife opened the box to check the phone and decided that she didn't actually want it. She took it back to the store this evening to be told that she can't get a refund as she needs to call CS first and get some sort of code before they will refund the money. I'm fuming as :-

A) CS is now closed and it means another trip to the store to get the refund
B) This is not mentioned on the boards in the store, all they say is return the phone with the sim intact for a refund (or something similar), they certainly don't mention anything about contacting CS first.

Comments please.

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Legally you're not entitled to a refund at all if you have simply changed your mind. I would follow their rules in case they decide not to refund you.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • headcovers
    Options
    kpburke wrote:
    We purchased a mobile phone from tesco last week, my wife opened the box to check the phone and decided that she didn't actually want it.

I really think that changing your mind once you get back home and expecting the store to fall over themselves to meet your requirements is a little too much.

Admittedly they don't appear to have advertised their terms and conditions very clearly in this case, however at least they have a process that allows you to change your mind and return the phone for a full refund - some other stores may not be so accomodating.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Becles wrote:
    Legally you're not entitled to a refund at all if you have simply changed your mind. I would follow their rules in case they decide not to refund you.

They do legally have to refund, if it says in store that they will as OP suggests they do.

And the OP has a point if he has complied with the T&c's as displayed in the store, then he should get a refund. *unless it says in small print subject to terms and conditions.

But OP I would suggest that if you want a refund with as little hassle as possible, then do as they ask, what...it's only another trip to tesco, which I know can be annoying if the faulty item is worth under a fiver, but you are returning a mobile phone (which was probably quite a costly item) so the % of total cost you will lose in petrol is minimal. And they do at least have a refund possible for phones, which may have influenced you when you bought it, but never the less the policy is a customer friendly policy.
  • RAMBLER
    RAMBLER Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Options
    This is obviously that stores policy. I was in another Tesco's and a lady in front of me at the CS desk was returning one. I the assistant asked had she phoned the helpline and she said no - this didn't seem to be a problem. although I gather this comes up on the screen so the assistant needs to ask.
    There is no need to run outside
    For better seeing,
    Nor to peer from a window.
    Rather abide at the center of your being.

Lao Tzu
  • Ganyam
    Ganyam Posts: 2,666 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ring head office and tell them the situation, there understanding and will contact your local store to accept the return for refund or exchange.. :j
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
  • Tyler_Durden_UK
    Options
    I spoke to CS yesterday morning and was told that the store should have refunded my wife, we went back to the store and finally got the refund, this was the 3rd visit to Tesco, my local store told me I had to take it back to the store of purchase (which I was told is not true), second time my wife was refused the refund, and third time we got the refund.
    I said to the CS team leader who dealt with us the last time "that I assumed I wouldn't have to write a letter of complaint to Head Office in order to get some compensation for the whole sorry affair", he hummed and harred, went to speak to the manager and sorted us out with a £10 gift card.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, nice ending. A lot of Tesco CS desk peeps don't know about some of their policies (even existing in the first place) or how they should be acted upon when the time comes.

Maybe it would help matters if tesco produced a leaflet (much like all those insurance and broadband/telephone service leaflets which they have by every checkout.) to outline all of tescos policies and how they should work.
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I took a freeview box back to tesco I had to phone CS up and get a code first. It was all explained on the leaflet which I think they are meant to give you with all electrical products.
  • pwebb1985
    Options
    kpburke wrote:
    I spoke to CS yesterday morning and was told that the store should have refunded my wife, we went back to the store and finally got the refund, this was the 3rd visit to Tesco, my local store told me I had to take it back to the store of purchase (which I was told is not true), second time my wife was refused the refund, and third time we got the refund.
    I said to the CS team leader who dealt with us the last time "that I assumed I wouldn't have to write a letter of complaint to Head Office in order to get some compensation for the whole sorry affair", he hummed and harred, went to speak to the manager and sorted us out with a £10 gift card.

COMPENSATION? COMPENSATION?
    Thats the problem with this country - everyone wants something for nothing and expect big companies likes tesco, asda, sainsburys to bend over backwards for them when they start threatening to "write to head office"
    Well I can tell you for a fact - Head office could not care less about your complaints. Infact unless you ask for a reply, your letter/phone call goes straight in the bin.
  • headcook
    headcook Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a mobile phone from Tesco for my son for Christmas. When I purchased it I was told that I could return it within 28 day for a full refund if I changed my mind. (The sign on the mobile phone stand states this, providing it is complete and as sold)
    He later decided that he'd like a different phone.
    I took it back, went to CS, the assistant checked the contents, filled out the necessary paperwork and I was refunded straight away.
    No phonecalls necessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport