Kalirel heaters

Options

Comments

• mrstaypuft
    Options
    I have installed this system for a council 2 years ago and peoples electricity bills tripled!:eek: As they were installed in the summer people did not use them much and we must have done about 150+ properties!!! We have now been replacing the kalirel system with dimplex duo storage heating. Kalirel UK went bust and as they were not the most reliable things replacements or repairs will soon be very hard to get.
  • ACEELECLTD
    Options
    [I have installed this system for a council 2 years ago and peoples electricity bills tripled!]

This brings me back to the earlier point over how much care (and aftercare was taken). Any responsible installer of these systems should always provide an energy meter as the most basic of measures. Something like an Owl or similar meter would usually suffice as it gives the end user a realtime view on how much they are ACTUALLY using. It allows people to decide how much comfort they are prepared to pay for.

Research on these forms of heating (Scottish Govt) normally found that generally more of the property was heated and for longer periods . Hence the higher bills. That's where the monitoring part comes into play.

150+ properties from experience is around £0.5Millions worth of contract or around 900 heaters...ouch.
  • Basically, if you have access to gas central heating, use it. It will be cheaper and more efficient in the long run and add value to your house. If not I have found these Kalirel radiators great. Agree, they cost the same to run as other electric heaters which you can buy but I didn't want to have free-standing radiators all over a small flat where space is a premium. Having them on the wall is much better even if it does cost more in start-up costs.

I have not found them easy to programme mainly because the control is so difficult to see and requires that I get down on the floor (probably to do with where I have located it) and I have to use a strong light directly on it or I can't read it. However, that done, I have successfully programmed them and found them really good.

We use Scottish & Southern's economy 10 which gives us access to half-price electricity between 1pm - 4pm; 8pm - 10pm and 12mn - 4am. We set the rads to optimise use of this cheap electricity. It's much better than storage heaters which use economy 7 and which are wonderfully warm in the morning and then you have to sit all evening wrapped in a blanket.

All that said, one of our radiators has a fault and I can't get hold of the company which has led me to this site. I find they may have gone bust. Nevertheless, I would recommend similar heating systems, of which there are many, some named on this thread.
  • Rick_James_2
    Options
    I agree with the previous message. We bought this system 18 months ago - it has never worked properly and the suppliers/manufacturers have been unwilling to do anything about it. The heaters upstairs do not respond to the remote control - in fact, I now cannot get them to come on at all. The ones downstairs are on full blast or not at all. It was an expensive systemm that is now costing a fortune to run. :mad:
  • makeitclear
    Options
    Try IntelliHeat, Inner Lodge All Saints, Weeting IP27 0QJ Tel: 01842 814489. E [EMAIL="info@intelligentheat.co.uk"]info@intelligentheat.co.uk[/EMAIL]

This is the correct information, the person you need to contact is Salvatore Cirasuolo but I warn you that he is a difficult person to deal with, with my dealings with him he doesn't care once he has your money, and this from personal experience.

If you check the website you will see he uses all the same diagrams and text from the old site, that was in turn cut and pasted from the no longer official Kalirel site.
  • russian
    russian Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I had these installed in a 3 bed detached house 2 years ago by electrician from Suffolk. Worked ok til yesturday. Had a big towel rail which cost about £300 ( dear I thought ) and it has just packed up, the light comes on but the heater is not working. Very disappointed ... don't know what to do now as it is cold in the bathroom.
    As for consumption we chose economy 10 from Southern Electric. Our bills were high with storage heaters and they are similarily high with these but they are more convenient if you have no other source of evening heating, giving a steady heat throughout day and evening as we have them on low all the time whereas storage heaters had to be on full blast to retain evening warmth. Our bill is evened out to a monthly payment of £153 in the most recent bill.

to compare - mar, april,may 2009 2100 off peak 1300 standard units
    june, jul,aug, 2009 1857 off peak, 1886 standard
    oct,nov,dec 2009 1295 off peak 346 standard

jun-dec 2010 from we used off peak 2358 units at 6.30p each and standard 2864 units at 13.86p each

With storage heaters :
    Nov, Dec 2008 & Jan 2009 we had storage heaters and used
    6000 off peak (5p) and 2000 standard (11p) for 3 winter months. (£345 total charge for those 3 months, in 2008)
    Whereas from Dec 2009-mar 2010 we used 3100 off peak and 5370 standard units. So we are using slightly more units in 2010 but what makes it much dearer is the economy 10 as we used significantly more standard units now which cost a lot more. So I'm rlly not sure. Maybe dear coz we are on expensive standard unit due to chaep econ 10 unit but if we don't use enough econ 10 and have high usage during of peak we may be better off having a standard tariff for all electric. It seems though that the kalirel don't use significantly more electric but the time of day, tarif etc can make a difference to your bills.

So we paid just over £112 a month in 2008 for storage heating during winter and we seem to be paying about £300 a month for winter electric now in 2010; but that is due to electric being dearer and the economy 10 tariff. However, if usage was low for standard times maybe economy 10 would be ok, but I am home a lot so it works out dear for us..
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,528 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    "I didn't want to have free-standing radiators all over a small flat where space is a premium"

Every small flat development I have been in the the last 10 years has had £30 wall mounted slimline Dimplex heaters.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,528 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Not bad for a first post, but can you please explain using simple maths how your 1.5kW heater costing many hundreds of pounds can give out more heat than once costing £15? If you can you deserve to make billions.

This is why other posters are calling your bluff - your claims on your website are nonsense.
  • danyilsun
    Options
    I've just read with interest this entire thread having recently bought some heaters from IntelliHeat.

I appreciate that there are times when customers are not happy - regardless of the product they've bought - that's life. But why is it that it's only the unhappy ones who decide to voice their opinions? I would hazard a guess that for every one unhappy customer, there are many, many happy ones? Typical of us Brits though to only make a noise if we want to complain!!

Well, this is one happy customer who'd like to add their 'noise' to the mix! My own experience has been very positive - the heaters look great and heat my house quite adequately. And despite the fact that we have had one of the coldest winters ever, my electricity bills have fallen slightly. What more can I ask?

I for one would have no hesitation in recommending these heaters. :T
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    danyilsun wrote: »
    I've just read with interest this entire thread having recently bought some heaters from IntelliHeat.

I appreciate that there are times when customers are not happy - regardless of the product they've bought - that's life. But why is it that it's only the unhappy ones who decide to voice their opinions? I would hazard a guess that for every one unhappy customer, there are many, many happy ones? Typical of us Brits though to only make a noise if we want to complain!!

Well, this is one happy customer who'd like to add their 'noise' to the mix! My own experience has been very positive - the heaters look great and heat my house quite adequately. And despite the fact that we have had one of the coldest winters ever, my electricity bills have fallen slightly. What more can I ask?

I for one would have no hesitation in recommending these heaters. :T

Care to tell us how much you paid for each heater and the complete system?

The point of all the criticism is that these heaters give out no more heat, for the electricity consumed, than a £10 heater from Argos.

However that is not how they are marketed and they cost £hundreds each.

There are loads of over-priced and over-hyped heaters with implied claims that somehow they give out more heat than other systems - and they don't.

My Granny's 50 year old 1/2/3 bar heater gives out exactly the same amount of heat as your heaters for the same running costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure