can school leaver get help with housing costs while still at family home

Options
excuse me if I am brief but have lost TWO posts already as I took too long to type them :rolleyes:

mum is on JSA (approx £67) and loses all child related benefits now little bro is 19. However he still lives at home (he is on a gap yr!) so she also loses £40 non dependants deduction from CT and HB benefit.

Little bro gets JSA in two weeks time of approx £47/wk

this means he must give mum most of his JSA to stay at home and would be better off in lodgings as he could then claim HB and CT benefits too

Is there any more help for them until one or both gets a job or must little bro move out as I can't see them being able to live on £74 quid a wk between them.

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    No he won't get anymore help apart from the JSA.

Why is he on a gap year and claiming JSA? Is he looking for a job or is he planning on travelling? This is what young people usually do on a gap year. The mother should ask the son either to leave because she is losing out, or ask for the majority of his money which should really go towards his basic living needs.
  • mum2boys_3
    Options
    mum2boys wrote: »
    excuse me if I am brief but have lost TWO posts already as I took too long to type them :rolleyes:

mum is on JSA (approx £67) and loses all child related benefits now little bro is 19. However he still lives at home (he is on a gap yr!) so she also loses £40 non dependants deduction from CT and HB benefit.

Little bro gets JSA in two weeks time of approx £47/wk

this means he must give mum most of his JSA to stay at home and would be better off in lodgings as he could then claim HB and CT benefits too

Is there any more help for them until one or both gets a job or must little bro move out as I can't see them being able to live on £74 quid a wk between them.

They are trying to help themselves here but mum has had a stressful time lately with ill health and not really "on the ball" financially - I've nagged her about her situation until I'm sick of it but I'm very worried about what might happen if little bro doesn't get a job soon (he assures me he'll take anything - have nagged him too :D ).
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options

I doubt very much that he'd be better off in lodgings. Out of his £47 he'd have to buy food and pay bills, so he'd be in much the same situation as he is now if he gives nearly all his JSA to his mother.

Why will they only have £74 per week to live on as your brother gets £47 and your mother also gets JSA?
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Why doesn't little bro GET A JOB?
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Non dependant deduction here last year was £7.40 a week I think for those who earn under £116, I don't know what current rates are, are you sure £40 a week is correct? When my friend was earning £230 a week she had less than £40 a week to pay towards the rent at her parents house who claimed HB.

However no, he can't claim anything towards housing costs while living at his parents home.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • mum2boys_3
    Options
    I doubt very much that he'd be better off in lodgings. Out of his £47 he'd have to buy food and pay bills, so he'd be in much the same situation as he is now if he gives nearly all his JSA to his mother.

Why will they only have £74 per week to live on as your brother gets £47 and your mother also gets JSA?

yes but at mo. he gets £7.00 /wk to pay towards food and bills that £40.00 is just for housing and council tax. mum has had that amount taken off those two benefits and they have to be paid or they will be homeless - she only gets single adult jsa.
  • mum2boys_3
    Options
    lil_me wrote: »
    Non dependant deduction here last year was £7.40 a week I think for those who earn under £116, I don't know what current rates are, are you sure £40 a week is correct? When my friend was earning £230 a week she had less than £40 a week to pay towards the rent at her parents house who claimed HB.

However no, he can't claim anything towards housing costs while living at his parents home.

thats what I was told - mostly from council tax benefit ct is around £100.00/mth for me so not sure what they would be paying but based on mine his share would be about £25.00/mth unless they consider he should pay half in which case it would be double that.
  • Alleycat
    Alleycat Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your mum needs to check that the correct amount of non dependent deduction is being taken off. If they have no income details at present for her son, they may have put her on middle rate rather than the lowest amount of £7.40 (thats just the HB).
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    Why doesn't little bro GET A JOB?

It says more than once in the thread he is looking for a job and will take anything, bet he finds a job before you find a clue.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    yes but at mo. he gets £7.00 /wk to pay towards food and bills that £40.00 is just for housing and council tax. mum has had that amount taken off those two benefits and they have to be paid or they will be homeless - she only gets single adult jsa.

Unfortunately once a child is no longer eligible for child benefit all the related benefits stop. It can be quite a shock but that's the way it goes and there are many of us myself included that lost a fair size chunk of our weekly income when our children came of age.

You are lucky he is able to claim JSA, those of us who had children going onto university had to fund the deficit ourselves unless the child got a job.

There was a thread running before regarding this with advice and help. I'll see if I can hunt it out.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport