How accurate is the Parkers car price guide?

Options
2»

Comments

• sheslookinhot
    Options
    Parkers and Glasses trade and good private sale prices are very similar, so similar in fact I wonder if they are compiled by the same people.

People selling cars expect top book price. I am sorry but expect to have your car a while. It will not sell. Of course there may be the exception.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • nullogik
    Options
    I've Parkers valuations to reasonably accurate, but nothing beats checking on Autotrader and EBay to see what the cars are really going for.
    Lack of money is the root of all evil.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
  • sheslookinhot
    Options
    nullogik wrote: »
    I've Parkers valuations to reasonably accurate, but nothing beats checking on Autotrader and EBay to see what the cars are really going for.

Remember, Autotrader only gives an indication of what was asked, not the selling price
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Gazman07 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I had a look on autotader & the private & independant dealers seem to be there or thereabouts with regards to the price in Parkers. But the main dealers seem a fair bit higher.

I don't mind paying a fair price but just wondering the best way to frind out how much i should be paying & then go to a dealers with the aim of getting a fair deal. I didn't just want to walk into a dealers with my Parkers guide in hand & then get laughed at (quite rightly, lol.)

Does anyone have any tips & advice for haggling? I've got the money at hand, can this be a useful bargaining tool or will it go against me as the dealer wont get comission for arranging finace.

Thanks again.

i bought a car last year from a well known dealership in scotland, had cash to pay, tried haggling and even asked out for a discount for cash and they wouldnt budge that much as they dont get anything back, the salesman admitted if we were buying on finance then they had more room for haggling due to the money they get in commision from the finance folk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure