PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Elderberry recipes please

13»

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 November 2010 at 3:14PM
    That's not looking good :( wine yeast tends to fall to the bottom - that looks like a mat of mould.

But if it's been fermenting for a couple of weeks, the alcohol should inhibit the mould.

Did you get a fast and furious fermentation?
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Hi

Did you get a fast and furious fermentation? , No seem to take ages for anything to happen will I have to throw this away 8-( ?
  • Does it smell alcoholy or yeasty? - to be honest that looks like it hasn't fermented at all and is just mouldy.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • yeasty in smell
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,203 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Have a small sip, if it tastes vinegary or musty, ditch it

To me the top looks like normal yeasty froth, same as one gets on beer
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Yes had a try to my surprise it tasted pretty good so will save it.

Many Thanks
  • Looks to me as if the wine is fermenting in the usual way - I have made elderberry wine (and lots of other wines) over the last few years and yours looks fine to me. I usually get a froth on the top when it is going really well - is the fermentation lock bubbling away furiously too?
  • I have just raided the elderberry tree at my brothers alotment and now would like to make wine.

Does anyone have any easy, tasty receipies please?
    Lucylema x :j
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    ah, my favourite fruit wine - luscious elderberry!

http://www.diy-plonk.com/elderberry-wine.html

and there are loads on here http://www.wine-making-guides.com/wine_recipes.html
  • Seakay wrote: »
    1 quart (ie 2 pints) ripe elderberries, off the stalk
    half pint vinegar (any type)
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 shallots chopped very fine (I use 1 medium onion)
    6 cloves
    20 black peppercorns
    2 inches of root ginger

Put the berries in an ovenproof dish (pyrex is good as no danger of staining) with the vinegar and cook for 30 minutes at the bottom of a warm oven (250F,121C, gas mark half) then turn oven off and leave overnight.
    Strain off the juice into a pan, add all the other ingredients and boil for 10 minutes, then strain through a sieve and bottle.

This is a flavouring sauce, in the style of Worcestershire Sauce, and can be used at once although it does improve with age and will keep for years.

Eliza Acton suggests that it is good with fish, and it is also nice added to a pan of frying liver.

I've just seen this (picked Elderberries today) and wondered what 2 pints of Elderberries is in weight?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure