PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Elderberry recipes please

Comments

• Sorry, I know this is absolutely the wrong thread to post this on, but I needed to do it quickly and couldn't take the time to find the right one. I hope somebody can put it in the right place or tell me where to put it as this is really important.
    I made an online order yesterday from Tesco, and used an e-code to get £7.50 off £75.00. So far, so good - the money was taken off my bill at the e-checkout. When the groceries arrived and I checked the invoice, the voucher value had not been taken off. I rang Customer Services (0845 so I'm paying for it) and explained the problem. I was staggered when the nice man said that, unless you get a code sent to you directly from Tesco, it is fraudulent! When I explained that I (and my friends) had been using these e-codes successfullyfor ages he became vaguely threatening and said they would not prosecute me for using earlier ones but might do so in the future!! Help!
  • Hi All

Having a go at elderberry wine , made abit of a bodge by straining the berries before the fermentation stage what should the berry to water ratio

Kind Regards:)
  • My recipe has 1.5kg berries and 4.5l water :)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • My recipe has 1.5kg berries and 4.5l water :)

Hi PP

Saw your recipe many thanks,only thing i have strained some of the berries already doh , so just trying to get the right amount of berry juice in Litres against water
  • Hi PP

Saw your recipe many thanks,only thing i have strained some of the berries already doh , so just trying to get the right amount of berry juice in Litres against water

Sorry, I don;t understand. Your OP asked for the "berry to water ratio". How do you mean "berry juice against water"?

Explain exactly what you did, and soemone may be able to help :)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Sorry, I don;t understand. Your OP asked for the "berry to water ratio". How do you mean "berry juice against water"?

Explain exactly what you did, and soemone may be able to help :)

sorry I just needed the the recipe In liquid measure as the berries are juice now ie 2lts of berry juice and 5lts of water for example

Many thanks
  • Hi

Just be doing some elderberry wine for the first time , the wine has been fermenting for a few weeks now, but noticed that a white substance has developed on the surface maybe mould I think but not 100% sure.

Any advice would be super Many Thanks
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    At what stage are you at with the wine. Not made elderberry for a couple of years but seem to remember my recipe involved fermenting the whole berrys in the liquid in a fermentation bin for about 10 days, followed by a longer fermentation of the seived out liquid in demi-johns.

As long as you are careful about cleaning and sterilising everthing and you keep it covered all the time it is unlikely to be mold (the alcohol also helps stop mold).

If the berries are still in it could be bits of them breaking down and rising to the top? Some yeast must perhaps (although most of this ususally sinks to the bottom).

What exactly does it look like?

I am sure some more experienced wine makers will be along shortly to help.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• HI Ali

We did clean everything on the fermentation bucket , I am wondering if its from the yeast

Many Thanks
  • Hi

Just thought I would add a few images , could this be yeast

Picture011-2.jpg

Picture012-3.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts