We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

£1.00 per Kg - Tescos

Options
This is about Tescos shelf labels. I am really pi**ed off all the time in Tescos because they are always putting their shelf labels in different formats.

Some examples are:

15p each (on single items or multi packs)
99p per pack (which contains 3 items or whatever)
£0.10 per 100g
£1.00 per Kg

Now they will do this on items that you will invaribly want to compare the prices of so you have to have a good maths head to work it all out....I have a good maths head but although I get the right answer I take a long time to get it.

Why can't they use the same method for all labels? I can see there may be sometimes where it is not possible. But in France - I'm not sure if it is set down in retail law over there but they have no problem at all making everything (appropriate) in "Euros per Kg" They do it for loose fruit, or bags of 6 fruit. They do it for individual choclate bars, or packs of 6, or big bags of fun size bars. They do it for cereals and everything else.....So why can't Tescos do it?

Years ago I made a complaint at CS desk, lady said no there shouldn't be a problem, so I took her to the confectionary shelf and showed her, this one is £'s/Kg, this one is pence/100g and this one is pence per item...etc etc she said "oh yes I see what you mean" of course she said she would try to find out why and get something done but ofcourse I never saw her again and nothing has ever been done about this.

:mad:

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    They never put the "price per" on the red and yellow special offer labels either. Even when some sizes are on offer, a different size might be better value.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Options
    The answer is simple, it is done to confuse the consumer and make comparison difficult and increase the head spend, no other reason.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Good vent - I TOTALLY agree! :beer:
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • colmil
    colmil Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, everyone!!!

I ALWAYS check the price per litre, kilo etc., and I am very proud of that, as I am sure we all are!
    Filiss
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    You are right, Becles, often things like coco pops 375g are buy two for 3.49 or whatever. But there is no price per Kg stated for the "special offer" and if you work it out, it is still cheaper to buy the cocopops 600g for 2.68 !!!!

But it is so annoying that we have to stand there working it out. Special offers are very good example because they don't give you any help whatsoever.
  • SaraSeahorse
    Options
    I agree

I am not bad at maths but find I resort to using calculator on mobilephone as the price per kg is always missing on so called 'special offers'

morrisons are great (NOT) at providing these labels too
    Baby Milk Action is a non-profit organisation which aims to save lives and to end the avoidable suffering caused by inappropriate infant feeding.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I shop mainly at Sainsbury not Tesco, and their shelf labels do show in very small print underneath the item price, what it equates to per kg, litre etc.

I dithered at the Heinz Salad Cream shelf today between a small bottle and a medium size, and it was the very small price difference per 100 grams that decided me to get the larger one.

I find this system invaluable, and I'm surprised if Tesco don't do it.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Turning_into_scrooge
    Options
    I absoluelty agree with both Wig and Beccles, it definitely hacks me off. Slows your shopping down too working out the best price on what you're buying :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport