Water Meters and power showers?

Options
Hi,
I've been told if you have a power shower it is mandatory you have a water meter, is that true?

I have (what I assume is) a power shower (loud pump thing in the airing cupboard starts whirring away when it's turned on) but i'm not on a meter.

I was considering going to a meter as there's only 2 of us in the flat and are generally out most of the time, and am currently paying £320drainage/£120 incoming water a year and seems a bit excessive. I assume ordinarily I would save a bit going onto a meter but would the power shower send the savings down the drain?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The pump in the airing cupboard might not be a power shower pump as such.

Sometimes it is necessary to have a pump just to provide enough water to get a shower to do better to than just 'dribble' - or it might not work at all.

A power shower is a more powerful version of that pump that provides lots of water at high pressure, the pump is usually very noisy.

Anyway regardless of power shower or not, there is no restriction on getting a meter for anything running internally. Unless you spend really long periods under the shower, a power shower will not use more than a large bath.
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    If it is a shower over the bath try sticking the plug in next ime and see how much it uses. Some powershowers use around 30litres per minute and there are pumps that can do 60 litres per minute.5 minutes at 30 litres per minute will be 150 litres (more than the average bath).
    There are options to use less water per shower. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1128645

You should be able to get a meter and see how much you use, if it is costing you money you can change back to ratable value within the first year.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure