What to take for sea sickness?

Options
Next Tuesday we are going on the P & O BOGOF to Bilbao. Having read the reports here about how rough the crossing is, I wondered if anyone could recommend some good sea sickness tablets, or give me any other advice on how to cope with it!!
Thanks in anticipation of your replies :p
Less is more

Comments

• tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just found this site: http://www.seasickness.co.uk/ dedicated to sea sickness - some good prevention techniques there. Also, take a look at a google search on sea sickness: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=sea+sickness&meta=.

If in doubt about tablets, go and see you pharmacist or doctor who can probably advise. The doctor advised someone I know on Aeroplane Tablets and gave them on prescription, so they may do the same for Sea Sickness tablets.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We buy the Boots own version of Kwells or Joy-Rides which have the same active ingredients but are cheaper. Make sure you have a light meal before sailing.

I always carry a packet of McVitities Ginger Nut biscuits. Ginger is good for stomach upsets..........and these biscuits are great for sharing among your fellow passengers and friends too.;)

I hope that helps.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Tomthumb
    Tomthumb Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Nearer the time you can take a look at the forecast to see how rough it will be. I've got pretty good sealegs fortunately but I would say if you start feeling a bit wobbly don't take to your cabin as it feels ten times worse in there, try and get a seat in the bar lounge or along the side of the ship by the windows (these are better if it's really rough as the seats are fixed) a fair few of our groups chairs fell over in the bar - was very funny!!
    If you can just try to carry on as normal, it is mind over matter as well, keep yourself occupied, you could wear wrist bands, take mints, pills etc.. but it's just the motion that makes you feel funny and the only way that will stop is to get off the ship (then it carries on for a while until your balance returns!)

Have a great trip - I'm so jealous, I love this trip!!!
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always find that lying down helps me. We did the same last year and as long as I lay down I was fine. The looking at the horizon doesn't help me at all but it could work for you. Apparently eating a decent meal helps but the Naval cure for sea sickness is the placebo effect (they give you smarties)
    I haven't got one!
  • Bargainbabe_2
    Options
    Nile wrote:

I always carry a packet of McVitities Ginger Nut biscuits. Ginger is good for stomach upsets..........and these biscuits are great for sharing among your fellow passengers and friends too.;)

I hope that helps.

I suffer from horrendous travel sickness. I can't even travel as a front passenger in car for a short journey without feeling queasy, never mind any other form of travel. Ginger biscuits personally didn't work for me. The last time I tried them I ended up throwing up the biscuits :o

Travel tablets are quite effective but beware, some of them can cause drowsiness.

You could also try accupressure wrist bands. These do work for me for short haul journeys and are a good alternative to drugs.
    "There are no pockets in a shroud..."
  • oysterman
    Options
    Try a few beers always works for me
    if i had known then what i know now
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mmmmmm but doesn't it all just then start the morning after
    I haven't got one!
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try taking a packet of Refresher sweets. They work wonders when your feeling sick. They also work with Morning Sickness.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • brodev
    brodev Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    never mind the ginger biscuits, go for the real thing a small 1 cm cube of root ginger is the best anti sickness available
    Something Really Interesting
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sturgeron are good for any form of sickness, not just travel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure