We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

£5000 to spend on a used car....

Options

Comments

• BeerBelly
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far!!

I'm still totally undecided and by no means looking at focus vs Astra (although thanks for breing astra to my attention!) -

all I know is my budget (£5000) and pretty much ruling out a 2 seater (personally love the S2000!!) - so anything with 3-5 doors up to 5K is fair game!

Someone at work mentioned 3 series BMW's and someone else an Impreza

No preference on auto/manual/petrol/diesel/sports/saloon ..etc

Keep them coming, glad ones I haven;t even thought of are coming to the table.

A later post I will bug you about bartering, espeically how tight things are (hoping for a bargain!)m but for now the search continues.

Thanking everyone so far..
  • BeerBelly
    Options
    MGs are coming out at a good price (think ZR and ZS) - don;t know mucha bout the motor though - are they !!!!pers?
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    MG went bust for a very good reason.. ;)

You could, if you shopped around, get a fairly basic new car for your £5000 of course...or better still a Pre Registered one.
  • BeerBelly
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    MG went bust for a very good reason.. ;)

You could, if you shopped around, get a fairly basic new car for your £5000 of course...or better still a Pre Registered one.

Please do tell sir!

Please do not reveal they are the motorised shopping trolleys people called a Smart car? :rotfl:

Do you mean pre reg MG's? *excuse the ignorance*
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options
    You may well pick up a low spec Nissan Note for around 5 grand. They're roomy and a good driving car, good mpg and low insurance and MOT. You could wait until next year and pick yourself up a higher spec motability one (3 year old). They first came out in Jan 2006, so the motability ones will be on the market from then onwards. Contact motability and buy off them direct.
  • Inactive
    Options
    BeerBelly wrote: »
    Please do tell sir!

Please do not reveal they are the motorised shopping trolleys people called a Smart car? :rotfl:

Do you mean pre reg MG's? *excuse the ignorance*

Not an MG, it would have sat at the dealers for a long while, MG went bust a few years ago now.

Go to Autotrader, Used Car Section, look through the listings with cars with less than 5000 miles, you will find no end of Pre-Registered cars of many makes/types. .. some are 08..some 58 Reg.
  • BeerBelly
    Options
    5000 miles?

£5000 is my budget! :-P
  • Inactive
    Options
    Under 5000 miles will find the Pre - Reg cars listed.

Nothing to do with £5000 :rolleyes:
  • nullogik
    Options
    I would agree with an Astra - cheap to buy, good MPG and comfortable. Also have a look at a VW Golf (Mk4) and a Ford Focus.

If you want something a little larger then you can't go wrong with a Vauxhall Vectra or a Ford Mondeo. Both of which are available in copious amounts on the secondhand markets and so make for good used car bargains.
    Lack of money is the root of all evil.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
  • BeerBelly
    Options
    Apoligies,

Still not sure which cars you mean for that price/age. Am on autotrader now and just tapped in up to £5000 and going from highest to lowest - theres only about 25000 results for me to get through! Some good ones though - been a wally for now doing that in the first palce, was looing at specific models.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport