Are They Allowed To Do This?

Options
I recently ordered a dishwasher from Sainsburys Appliances Online. At no time while I will was going through the checkout process did it say that the item was not in stock, otherwise I would not have ordered through them. It stated delivery 3-7 days. Why aren't they honest with you? I got a phone call last Monday to say that it wasn't in stock and basically they didn't know when it would be, but I would get a call when it was available. However, they took full payment via my credit the day I ordered it. Are they allowed to do this? It just makes me so mad!!!!!!!!!! AND to top it all, if you want to phone them they use an 0870 national rate number, so it costs loads.
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

Comments

• shopbot
    shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try this Freephone number: 0800 636262

If it does'nt have the right option for you then take one of the other options and ask the operator to transfer you to the right dept.

I got it from this website which gives alternatives to 0870 numbers:
    http://www.saynoto0870.com/
  • surfcat
    surfcat Posts: 734 Forumite
    Options
    can you not now refuse it under the distance selling relations.

This gives you a 14 day 'cooling off' period in which you can change your mind. Tell them this, and ask for your money back. They can't charge you to collect the otem yet, as they haven't deleivered it.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    surfcat wrote:
    can you not now refuse it under the distance selling relations.

This gives you a 14 day 'cooling off' period in which you can change your mind. Tell them this, and ask for your money back. They can't charge you to collect the otem yet, as they haven't deleivered it.

You sure it's not 7? I forget easily.

Anyway OP, If you don't like the heat...cancel the order, tell them you can't accept them having no idea when delivery will be. Obviously your card will be credited and you will have lost nothing but a few days.

Yes they are allowed to take your money as soon as you order.

Try https://www.rtd.uk.com (I think that's right) *free delivery
  • SaraSeahorse
    Options
    I think the regulations though state refunds to be made within 30 days and some companies take that amount of time and then some

"The main provisions of the Regulations are that:

• Consumers must be given clear information about the goods or services before buying;

• Goods must be delivered within thirty days unless agreed otherwise;

• Consumers have a cooling off period in which they can withdraw from the contract for any reason. The cooling off period begins as soon as the order has been made. In the case of goods, it ends seven working days after the day of receipt of the goods. In the case of services, it ends seven working days after the day the order were made. If the consumer agrees to the service beginning within the seven days, the right to cancel ends when the service starts; and

• Where consumers notify the supplier in writing or another durable medium that they wish to cancel the contract, they must be refunded within 30 days all money paid.
    "

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/distancesell.htm
    Baby Milk Action is a non-profit organisation which aims to save lives and to end the avoidable suffering caused by inappropriate infant feeding.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Phoned again today as haven't heard anything for over a week - still no news on delivery - just said the manufacturer hopes to be able to supply in 2-3 weeks!! It just amazes the service we get, I mean Bosch is a big company and makes lots of dishwashers, so why can't I have one of them? I told customer services guy that they should show on checkout if an item is not in stock, so at least we have the choice of not proceeding - fell on deaf ears though. They have my money, so I just have to wait. Trouble is that the price has gone up a bit since I placed my order - hopefully they won't try to charge me the extra.

I tried the 0800 number that was kindly posted, but that particular part of Sainsburys don't deal with the appliances online section - thanks anyway, worth a try.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• Wig
    Options
    This just made me think...This is an interesting point of law and needs to be clairified.

You buy one, you get one free. If the one you bought is faulty you should be able to get a refund AND retain the *free* item.

By the sounds of it the OP's post is saying the faulty item was one of the 12.49 items which is the ones she "bought" so the 10.49 item was the free item and therefore the item she can keep. Whilst still getting a refund for the faulty item.

You can see where I'm going with this, so it only remains to be discovered what exactly the law would say about this scenario.

Interesting.
  • RightRevBod
    Options
    Wig wrote:
    This just made me think...This is an interesting point of law and needs to be clairified.

You buy one, you get one free. If the one you bought is faulty you should be able to get a refund AND retain the *free* item.

By the sounds of it the OP's post is saying the faulty item was one of the 12.49 items which is the ones she "bought" so the 10.49 item was the free item and therefore the item she can keep. Whilst still getting a refund for the faulty item.

You can see where I'm going with this, so it only remains to be discovered what exactly the law would say about this scenario.

Interesting.

I think that you may have replied to the wrong thread.
    [size=-2] If this post was unhelpful, please tell me.
    If it was helpful, please tell everyone - Press the [highlight]Thanks[/highlight] button!
    [/size]
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    If it is an internet sale, and they have billed the credit card already, and they have not despatched any goods or don't know when they are going to get any, and you have cancelled the order, and they won't give you a refund, phone your credit card company. Explain it to them and ask then to cancel the transaction.
  • Wig
    Options
    I think that you may have replied to the wrong thread.

Ha ha, yes you're right! I just noticed myself.
  • Wig
    Options
    melbury wrote:
    Phoned again today as haven't heard anything for over a week - still no news on delivery - just said the manufacturer hopes to be able to supply in 2-3 weeks!! It just amazes the service we get, I mean Bosch is a big company and makes lots of dishwashers, so why can't I have one of them? I told customer services guy that they should show on checkout if an item is not in stock, so at least we have the choice of not proceeding - fell on deaf ears though. They have my money, so I just have to wait. Trouble is that the price has gone up a bit since I placed my order - hopefully they won't try to charge me the extra.

Have you tried the website I linked to above rtd.uk.com ???

They deal with Bosch and are quite often the cheapest online. So use this as an oportunity to cancel your order and get it cheaper from RTD. Don't miss that delivery is free with RTD on orders above 250 pounds (I think) so make sure you don't dismiss their price without working out the total payable in both cases.

RE: delivery from Bosch A lot of companies do this If not most or all of online orders of various marks including Bosch....The products are delivered straight from the Bosch depot they don't even go anywhere near the internet based companies premises.

Each retailer has access to the Bosch stock list, but I suspect none make tis a feature viewable by the customer. If you want to know before you order then don't order online, just phone up and the person at the other end should be able to view the stock list.....This is what happens at RTD anyway.

If RTD are cheaper...why haven't you cancelled and gone with them instead? *Your order won't arrive any quicker because you have to wait for it to come direct from Bosch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure