Easily save at least £14 a year on your broadband (Virgin)

Options
I'm with Virgin.net and thought I'd try and reduce my monthly bill. Currently I'm on their Plan One service (2mbps/20GB cap) at £24.99

I have NO IDEA how much bandwidth I use and "My Account" on their website doesn't tell me how much. I phoned customer services who also have no idea, despite being with them for about a year.

I asked what happens if I exceed an allowance limit and he said if it is consistently over the limit then I'd be asked to upgrade. I checked their T&Cs and saw this too:
What happens if I exceed my allowance?
We will send an email to your Virgin.net email address to let you know. We may also request that you upgrade to another, more appropriate Plan, if you consistently exceed your monthly allowance. Please see our Terms and Conditions for full details. Unlike many competitors with similar schemes, we won't impose hefty penalty payments or suspend your service as soon as you go over your allowance.

I.e: I won't get my service cut-off straight away.

I have therefore downgraded to Plan 2 (2mbps/6GB limit) at £17.99 - saving £7 a month. The way I figure, even if I'm using 20GB, they will need at least 2 months to establish that I'm consistently exceeding the limit so I should save at least £14 in worst case. I reckon I can easily get 2 months at the lower rate before they ask me to upgrade again. Also, I may not even be hitting the current limit.

I'll let you all know how this goes. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but couldn't find any references to it via search. :)

Please "thank" if this does you any good!

Comments

• grego
    grego Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Just looking through one of my few earlier posts and found this.

Original post was wrong - guess I got confised in the excitement - I'm saving £84 a year!

I forgot I'd update - but here you go: I "downgraded" myself when I made this post back in November and have had no problems whatsoever. In fact my usage has gone up LOADS since then as I've been downloading lots of music and vids and streaming lots of stuff too.

Not a peep from Virgin until last week, but that was to offer me my free 8mbps line upgrade. Woo-hoo. Easiest saving I ever made...

If only I could rename my thread title to correct my original error - no wonder nobody replied first time around!

grego wrote:
    I'm with Virgin.net and thought I'd try and reduce my monthly bill. Currently I'm on their Plan One service (2mbps/20GB cap) at £24.99

I have NO IDEA how much bandwidth I use and "My Account" on their website doesn't tell me how much. I phoned customer services who also have no idea, despite being with them for about a year.

I asked what happens if I exceed an allowance limit and he said if it is consistently over the limit then I'd be asked to upgrade. I checked their T&Cs and saw this too:
    What happens if I exceed my allowance?
    We will send an email to your Virgin.net email address to let you know. We may also request that you upgrade to another, more appropriate Plan, if you consistently exceed your monthly allowance. Please see our Terms and Conditions for full details. Unlike many competitors with similar schemes, we won't impose hefty penalty payments or suspend your service as soon as you go over your allowance.

I.e: I won't get my service cut-off straight away.

I have therefore downgraded to Plan 2 (2mbps/6GB limit) at £17.99 - saving £7 a month. The way I figure, even if I'm using 20GB, they will need at least 2 months to establish that I'm consistently exceeding the limit so I should save at least £14 in worst case. I reckon I can easily get 2 months at the lower rate before they ask me to upgrade again. Also, I may not even be hitting the current limit.

I'll let you all know how this goes. Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but couldn't find any references to it via search. :)

Please "thank" if this does you any good!
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been with Virgin for several years now, and they upgraded the line to 8mb at no extra charge.

The trouble is that when doing speed tests I rarely experience over 2 or 3mb. Have just sent an email to Virgin about this, and they have given me the number of their technical support. If they can't help they will forward the issue to BT.

I'm also on Plan Two, by the way
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    grego wrote:

Download and install Netmeter to find out. Excellent program and it's free!

HTH

:cool:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure