Options
1235»

Comments

• liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morty_007 wrote: »
    I don't know, I think I was talking more to myself than him. He is 14 months old and yes, I knw they understand lots at that age but it wasn't a hysterical outpouring, just a gentle reassurance. He wouldn't have taken anything from my tone except that I loved him and was going to look after him th absolute very best I could.

And yes, I left him there. shoot me. make me feel 100 times worse that i already do. call social services. I HAD to leave him there. People may not believe me when I say I HAD to go to work but I did. I don't have a job where I can just drop everything in an instant. I wish I did but I haven't. I'd have him with me 24/7 if I could but sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do.

The way it read, you dropped him off to a prison warden with a baton, whispered "I'll get you out of here i promise" then did one! (Metaphorically)

If something truely terrible had happened, then work or no work, i would not leave a child there, but as nothing truely terrible has happened you have no need to feel guilty.

Is there someone particular there you took a dislike to by chance?
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    I think that might have been the way YOU read it but not the way I wrote it. You have inferred drama where there was none. I was merely making the point that something doesn't feel right to me and I hadn't realised it until my subconscience surfaced in my telling him that. I feel guilty that I didn't spot it sooner. That I have to leave my child with anyone, to me, is enough to fuel my guilt.

With respect, TBH if you really want to help (because telling me I have no need to feel guilty really isn't going to help) you could let me know your experiences of the first 3 questions I asked so I can add fuel to my knowledge when I discuss this with the nursery. You obviously have a lot of experience with leaving children in nursery and that is what I am asking for help with.
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't need to add any 'inferred drama' to your posts; whispering to a 14 month old 'Don't worry i'll get you out of here' does that already :)

Evidently you have sorted out your childcare issue, so i will refrain from commenting further.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • mummytofour
    Options
    Daisydoll wrote: »
    I'm in wigan and pay £23 per day from 9-6pm, but it is a sure start nursery so they are government funded which is why think they charge less. DD takes a packed lunch but gets a hot meal at tea time provided plus snacks. They do charge for bank hols but not for when they are closed over xmas, plus if I take dd out in school hols I dont get charged.Although when DD1 went to a private nursery as a baby it was only £26 but then I think it is generally cheaper around this area. I think overall though most nurseries charge in holidays.

Im in Sussex and my 2 are in a sure start nursery. But I have to pay £35 a day, I wonder how the gov justify that? Especially as sure start nurseries are for deprived areas.
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • AliceIW_2
    Options
    I was glad to come across your thread, Morty_007, as I have got a similar problem.

Answers to your questions:
    1. How much does your nursery charge for your year old child per day?
    £333.33 monthly fees by direct debit for two full days a week at the nursery.
    2. Do you get charged for bank holidays even though the nursery doesn't open?
    Yes, by contract the fees are payable 52 weeks a year.
    3. Do you get charged if the nursery closes for a period of holiday e.g: christmas week?
    Yes, moreover, we are charges even if the nursery chooses to close for things like outings and training days.

The last point seems to be particularly unfair to me. I only bring in my daughter twice a week, on Thursdays and Fridays. If the nursery chooses to close down, it is always on Friday. Therefore, if they decide to go out for an outing, I have to either come with my child (and pay extra for the ticket and the travel to whatever place they decide to go); or find alternative care AND pay the fees in full; or let my daughter go on the trip, pay the nursery fees AND pay wages for a member of staff who will go with her!

Last week I was provided with a schedule of closures for training. No surprise, they will all be on Fridays - in September, December and March.

Needless to say, I find this arrangements discriminatory to those parents who bring their children on Fridays. I work part-time and earn just a few quid more than I have to pay for the nursery and cannot pay for 'alternative childcare' on those those days they close down. I have to take my holidays instead, which I am not happy about again as l see it 'eating up' half of my annual holiday allowance.

I am looking into changing my nursery. As I see contracts vary, and I now know what will not suit me.
  • AliceIW_2
    Options
    I was glad to come across your thread, Morty_007, as I have got a similar problem.

Answers to your questions:
    1. How much does your nursery charge for your year old child per day?
    £333.33 monthly fees by direct debit for two full days a week at the nursery.
    2. Do you get charged for bank holidays even though the nursery doesn't open?
    Yes, by contract the fees are payable 52 weeks a year.
    3. Do you get charged if the nursery closes for a period of holiday e.g: christmas week?
    Yes, moreover, we are charges even if the nursery chooses to close for things like outings and training days.

The last point seems to be particularly unfair to me. I only bring in my daughter twice a week, on Thursdays and Fridays. If the nursery chooses to close down, it is always on Friday. Therefore, if they decide to go out for an outing, I have to either come with my child (and pay extra for the ticket and the travel to whatever place they decide to go); or find alternative care AND pay the fees in full; or let my daughter go on the trip, pay the nursery fees AND pay wages for a member of staff who will go with her!

Last week I was provided with a schedule of closures for training. No surprise there, they will all be on Fridays - in September, December and March.

Needless to say, I find this arrangements discriminatory to those parents who bring their children on Fridays. I work part-time and earn just a few quid more than I have to pay for the nursery and cannot pay for 'alternative childcare' on those those days they close down. I have to take my holidays instead, which I am not happy about again as l see it 'eating up' half of my annual holiday allowance.

I am looking into changing my nursery. As I see contracts vary, and I now know what will not suit me.
  • Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your input Alice, I found most peoples' responses really helpful too.
    x
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • AliceIW_2
    Options
    Thanks, Morty_007. Have you negotiated with your nursery or have you decided to look for another one?

I have written a letter to the senior manager of the nursery (it's a chain of nurseries), asking to reconsider their policies. Will see what happens...
  • Mr_Nimoy
    Mr_Nimoy Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    At our nursery we had to pay a £100 non refundable registration fee and we pay £22.00 for a half day friday 0800-1300. Bank Holidays are to be paid for but during the christmas week a 50% discount is given. This year (2009) christmas day and new years day fall on a friday, so we will effectively end up paying for one day.

We also felt that this was a bit cheeky. However, on reading some of the replies - we are probably not charged too badly!

We do not have to send our little boy to nursery as my wife has taken a career break to look after him. We send him there because we feel it will aid his development.Its too early yet to ascertain whether his placement has been positive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure