Nursery charges - a few questions

Options

Comments

• Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    elljay20 wrote: »
    the key is to do you're reasearch and ring round all the nurseries in your area and ask these questions.

I think you are right. Unfortunately as a first time mum I didn't know that I would need to ask the questions when I enrolled him. I will be having a ring around to see if there is any variation locally. In a way I guess it's good to know that there is no standard nationwide way of doing things. And it's good to know it's not just me who doesn't really feel the charges are acceptable.

Morty
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • DaisyFlower
    Options
    "I have just spent half an hour on the phone to a friend who has her daughter at the same nursery and she is considering taking her daughter out all together and making other arrangements because of this.

There are 5 other mums in our little group and only one of them doesn't have a problem with it...she is a teacher and it turns out there are different rules for teachers. They DON'T pay for bank holidays, the school holidays or the week at christmas...can anyone explain why this is fair?"

On the first point, taking out the bank holidays for xmas day and boxing day, it only leaves 3 days - bit silly to move a child because they are closed an extra 3 days a year on top of bank holidays.

As for teachers, they often dont need childcare in the school holidays and lots of nurseries offer term time only contracts for teachers - some make up the numbers with children who do need care in the holidays as they are not at school. If they have a term-time only contract then how do you know they dont pay a higher daily rate? Although tbh, its their contract and none of your business really, if you needed term time only hours i'm sure you would be happy they offered this service.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used 2 different nurseries with dd between 2005-2006.

Nursery 1 I paid £28 per day, no charge for bank holidays, no charge when shut, 2 weeks off free, breakfast, lunch, tea provided.

This nursery was attached to an independant school, and shut in between xmas and new year, but it also on occassions shut for last week in August and once earlier for the xmas break, shutting same day as the school, around 20th Dec.

I moved her to Nursery 2 to be closer to home, the chare was £25 per day, no charge for bank holidays, no charge when shut, if you went 4 or 5 full days, you could have 1 or 2 weeks half price when away. lunch, tea, but not breakfast provided.

This nursery only shut Xmas eve and opened again 2nd Jan.

I give the 2 comparisons so you can see, I got more 'freebies' with the first, but the charge was higher. I will also add it is quite common for nurseries to be closed betwee xmasa and new year.
  • sarmia
    sarmia Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Our little boy goes 4 days a week 8.30 - 5.30.

We are charged £25.00 per day and a pay a month in advance. He doesnt havent breakfast, but a mid morning snack, lunch (which is made by there own on site chef), a afternoon snack and usually sandwiches for tea.

He has milk free but we have to take our own nappies and wipes.

We pay for approx 50 weeks a year as the Xmas week is free and so are bank holidays. If the nursery is closed we dont pay.

However we pay should he be ill, or we are on holiday and dont take him.

HTH x
  • RoxieW
    RoxieW Posts: 3,016 Forumite
    Options
    I paid £35 a day (inc meals) 52 weeks of the year. There was no leeway. I had to pay for xmas day etc and it would me up something chronic. We went on holdiay for a month and still had to fork out the £1000 nursery fees (2 children). In the end I ditched it and became a stay at home mum - my kids and I are happier and I'm not paying to line some greedy Merc driving 6 bed house owning nursery owners pockets : )
    MANAGED TO CLEAR A 3K OVERDRAFT IN ONE FRUGAL, SUPER CHARGED MONEY EARNING MONTH!:j
    £10 a day challenge Aug £408.50, Sept £90
    Weekly.
    155/200
    "It's not always rainbows and butterflies, It's compromise that moves us along."
  • Morty_007too
    Options

bit silly to move a child because they are closed an extra 3 days a year on top of bank holidays.

Thank you for ipassing judgement on and insulting my friend I shall be sure to share your views on this matter with her. Is that not her perogative?
    As for teachers, they often dont need childcare in the school holidays and lots of nurseries offer term time only contracts for teachers - some make up the numbers with children who do need care in the holidays as they are not at school. If they have a term-time only contract then how do you know they dont pay a higher daily rate? Although tbh, its their contract and none of your business really, if you needed term time only hours i'm sure you would be happy they offered this service.

But I don't need childcare during my holidays (but I do when they are closed!!) which I would/could take during the school holidays if I were allowed the same contract that meant I didn't have to pay. I know they DO have the same daily rate because my friend is a teacher (as stated) and I talk to my friends. I'm not begrudging her the holidays/not paying but I do think it is discriminatory. And as for being none of my business I can't help thinking thats a bit rude really. Thanks for your input though.

Thank you to all of you who have offered answers to my original questions.
  • Morty_007too
    Options
    RoxieW wrote: »
    ... greedy Merc driving 6 bed house owning nursery owners pockets : )
    couldn't have put it better myself ;) thats JUST how I feel about the couple who own this place....I REALLY nust move my son out!! LOL!
    x
  • brummiebabe
    Options
    From reading through your posts...it really sounds as though you aren't at all happy, deep down, with the care your son is receiving at this nursery(sorry if I've totally misunderstood). From my experience you should always go with your gut instinct....if you feel uneasy then you probably have reason to!!

Whilst I realise he has friends there etc, surely the most important thing is that he's happy & being well cared for when you're not there. As working parents we will always have the 'guilt' thing..but if you're genuinely happy with your choice of childcare, then it makes it much easier!!

I moved DS2 from his nursery due to a change of owners...who only seemed interested in the money (they said I owed over a £1000, when in fact I was in credit:confused: .) Although his new nursery was in a much older building and didn't appear as 'impressive' - the staff have all worked there for years, are more mature ladies with their own children and the staff turnover is VERY low!!! I was really anxious about moving him but he settled straight away!! My DD is now at the same nursery and I'm still really pleased!!

Perhaps go & view a few other places - get a feel for the nursery - you'll probably find it a bit easier now that you've got something to compare it to!!

Your son is the most important thing to consider in this....if he's happy & being well cared for then your life will be much easier & less stressful!!

Best of luck x
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
  • SarahNeedle1872
    Options
    1. How much does your nursery charge for your year old child per day? £41
    2. Do you get charged for bank holidays even though the nursery doesn't open? Yes!
    3. Do you get charged if the nursery closes for a period of holiday e.g: christmas week? No

My 18 mth old DS does 3 days, 0800-1800 and absolutely loves it!
    We pay for Bank Hols, and when we are on holiday, but do not pay for our days during the 10 days the nursery is shut over Xmas/New year. The daily rate covers everything - food and drink, nappies and bum-cream. The only thing we pay extra for is Sun cream (£6 per year)

As the previous poster said, you appear to have problems with the way they care for your child, and if you are not happy you need to go with your instincts. Either set up a meeting with the nursery manager to discuss your concerns, or think about looking elsewhere for childcare. As a first time Mum, I was terrified at looking for childcare, but looked at 5 nurseries and 3/4 childminders. The nursery DS is at now was by far my favourite, and I have never had any problems with them. The owner/managers are perfectly approachable, and the girls in DSs room are fantastic, and will cater for anything DS needs (he is currently sporting a full leg cast after fracturing his ankle! And the nursery asked us if he could swap a day so they could give him the increased attention he needed - mutually beneficial)

ATEOTD you know your child best, and if you're not happy with ANYTHING, go with your instinct and change it

Sarah x
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • Io07
    Io07 Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there
    Interesting thread!
    1. How much does your nursery charge for your year old child per day? £38
    2. Do you get charged for bank holidays even though the nursery doesn't open? Yes(we get a "monday" discount tho)
    3. Do you get charged if the nursery closes for a period of holiday e.g: christmas week? Yes!

and we pay for when we take him out for our holiday too...so in dec we'll be paying for a month when he's not there.ouch!

They are open 8-6;lovely premises and stable and caring staff. breakfast,milk(cow's not formula),snack,lunch(cooked onsite by chef using local farm produce)and tea is included. we provide nappies,creams,wipes.

we looked at others nearby,this was by far the cleanest and well-run. it is a lot of money (approx £830 pm) but its what we've chosen to do. They had a long waiting list for some days and I got to know only later that its considered to be one of the "posh" ones locally. oh well, DS is happy and that's all tht matters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure