Good quality laptop for £400??

Options
mils
mils Posts: 216 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all, im asking this for my dad as he wants to buy a Laptop for his wife as an anniversary gift (for there pearl) and doesnt have a clue when it comes to tech.
So basically does anyone know of any stores/shops/sites or offers going on at the moment where he could get a good laptop with a budget of £400??
Ideally with :
  • CPU (at least Core duo),
  • memory - ideally 2gb but thinking it would be hard to for £400
  • HDD - 80gb +
  • With WLAN - wirless
  • Windows vista premium
Can anyone help please??
Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks Paul

Comments

• verbyl.belch
    Options
    Hi Mils.

Have you been to www.notebookreview.com ? They have great reviews and a very active forum community, i've found it an excellent resource in the past.

I have actually just bought a Dell laptop and i am very happy with it. If the laptop will be used for simple tasks like web browsing/email and office documents i think something along the lines of a Dell Vostro laptop would be good. These are predominantly aimed at the small business market but many have found them to be great for basic users.

If you do decide to go down the dell route, don't forget to use quidco and also check www.dmxdimension.com for the latest dell discount codes.

Also, have a look at the great thread in this section, "The Great 'Cheapest Decent Laptop' Hunt"

I hope this helps get you started.
  • verbyl.belch
    Options
    Just stubled across this thread, should be exactly what you are after....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=13796723#post13796723

Post #97 for example
    From another thread here

I went for a Dell Vostro 1510, 15.4" widescreen, dual core pentium, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HD, wireless, webcam, bluetooth, DVD writer, Vista Home Premium, 1 year next day onsite support. Total £353 plus 5% quidco. This is from the Dell Business store.

The reviews and pictures all imply it has a card reader built in but its not listed in the specs.

For this model there is currently £50 off plus free delivery and a 10% code which expires today so get in quick if you;re interested! Incidentally the 'base' model without webcam or bluetooth was only £316 (plus quidco) which is a great price for this spec.

The code is:

10% off All vostro notebooks
    GLTV1QH8DCMLWF

(found on hotdeasuk).

Pete
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    Yes will be very possible for £400 and yes best to have 2GB RAM for Vista. The Hotdeals site users are quoting seems very good, I did not know that one, also look at Ebuyer for variety and comparison of whats out there and also Pricerunner.
    Careful with Pricerunner as a lot of Linux machines come up in a search unless you specify an OS
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • cor26
    cor26 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    I got an acer thinking it would be a good deal at 399 with 100 pound off.......... but the laptops are really poor. The acer software was really poor and has lots of problems even their own staff at the technical support say it is rubbish.

So dont buy an acer ...... theyre rubbish :D
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    cor26 wrote: »
    I got an acer thinking it would be a good deal at 399 with 100 pound off.......... but the laptops are really poor. The acer software was really poor and has lots of problems even their own staff at the technical support say it is rubbish.

So dont buy an acer ...... theyre rubbish :D[/quote

I've just recently bought an Acer with everything the OP asked for and it's fine.I also bought one for my granddaughter 2 years ago and it's never given her any problems at all,whatever she's done to it,even dropping it twice.I think it's all down to luck I've had desk tops that were nothing but problems whilst other people I knew that had the same model had none.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I also bought an Acer for a friend. For the money, I didn't think it was bad at all, although I did uninstall a fair bit of the bloatware that came with it.

It was this one, in case you're interested:
    http://www.simplyacer.com/ACER-LX.AKV0X.108-399830.html

2.0GHz CPU with 4MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB and 2GB RAM.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    check out www.dmxdimension.com for the latest dell deals - any amount of decent spec laptops for your budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure