Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

norton security

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
46 replies 1.5K views
McKneffMcKneff Forumite
38.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
my daughter who lives with us bought a laptop and norton internet security last Sept. I then bought a laptop in December 07 and my laptop was included in the norton security. she kept getting a pop up to say it was about to run out in 3 weeks and she went ahead and bought in online.
unfortunately it has not automatically come through to mine so how do we go about getting mine covered. we are not techie, these were our first computers so any help in laymans terms would be a help
make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
and we will never, ever return.

Replies

• DatabaseErrorDatabaseError Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    best bet would be to download a free antivirus package, then uninstall symantec (i bet peter norton is cursing the day he sold his name)
    Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.
  • superscapersuperscaper Forumite
    13.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep it's a pity your daughter wasted her money in the first instance of buying it online. But don't further waste resources, effort by actually using something pretty poor and relatively ineffectual just for the mere reason of having already spent money on it. It's a false economy IMHO. Better cutting your losses and using free alternatives now which are better or at least something that's actually worth paying for (Kaspersky, Eset...).
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i rang norton up and i am told that we can cancel the purchase.
    i am a bit confused, mind if i ask some questions

how can they charge £54.99 on line when PC World sell it for £29.99 is it that they think we are niaive or just stupid

How can PC World put it at that price when it is freely available on the net

How do i go about installing one of these free ones

Sorry, but i am niave but i dont like it pointed out by these people

and thanks for you help btw
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    13.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i rang norton up and i am told that we can cancel the purchase.
    i am a bit confused, mind if i ask some questions

how can they charge £54.99 on line when PC World sell it for £29.99 is it that they think we are niaive or just stupid

How can PC World put it at that price when it is freely available on the net

How do i go about installing one of these free ones

Sorry, but i am niave but i dont like it pointed out by these people

and thanks for you help btw

It isn't freely available (at least not legally). As for it being more to purchase online direct than at PC World, yes that is down to playing on naivity.

By free alternatives we mean something like Avast or Antivir or AVG for the antivirus and Comodo or Zonealarm for the firewall.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • aliEnRIKaliEnRIK Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not too sure without deleving into it but id hazard a guess that the cheaper one wont have ALL the resources that the dearer one has? Say for example, email scanning? Spam filter? So on and so forth........
    If they ARE exactly the same then I hope Norton burn in hell!
    :idea:
    13.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliEnRIK wrote: »
    Im not too sure without deleving into it but id hazard a guess that the cheaper one wont have ALL the resources that the dearer one has? Say for example, email scanning? Spam filter? So on and so forth........
    If they ARE exactly the same then I hope Norton burn in hell!

That's true, it could be the OP only saw the Antivirus package in PC World (going by their website that's £29.99) so it depends on what package was paid for online. Norton Antivirus or Norton Internet Security. (Although either one is a waste of money, and I wouldn't install it on my PC if it were free).
    Moss
  • Bigun28Bigun28 Forumite
    468 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    You can get a 3 user version of Norton Internet Security (includes the anti-virus tec) very cheaply now, almost for the same price as a single user version. Allows you to load it up legitamately on 3 computers all under the one license.
  • Bigun28Bigun28 Forumite
    468 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Opps!! Forgot a link here.

When I bought this earlier in the year I managed to get PC World to price match Amazon and give me the 10% extra of the difference.
  • aliEnRIKaliEnRIK Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completely agree with Superscraper
    I would NEVER use Norton ~ its horrible (And can be extremely problematic)
    Go for a free antivirus and free firewall (2 different programs)
    I personally use Comodo Firewall and AVG Antivirus (Avast might be better if the processer is slow though)
    :idea:
  • donnajunkiedonnajunkie Forumite
    32.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if i want to renew norton after the 1 year is up can i do it by just buying another disc from a shop? or do i have to renew online? i dont really want to give them my card details. as it seems to be cheaper to just buy a new disc from a shop i am hoping i can just do that when the time comes to renew. also if i have norton 360 can i replace it with norton internet security 2008? would the loss of the pc tuneup function on 360 be a problem? how important is disk optimization and deleting temporary internet files and windows files?
This discussion has been closed.