Holidayautos and Irish car rentals

Options
I booked a car from holidayautos in July for a trip to Ireland in August. I paid holidayautos by debit card. When I collected the car, the rental agreement showed a charge in euros and then an equal negative amount headed "Less Deposits paid". So it seemed clear that Irish car rentals accepted that the rental had been paid for. On the next line it also showed a conversion of this amount into Sterling under the heading "Charges paid in transaction currency:"

On my return to the UK I found that Irish car rentals had charged the sterling amount to the credit card which I presented to them as a security deposit. So in effect I have paid twice. I have written to holidayautos to complain but it's extremely annoying that I have to chase this up.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with these companies? I have to assume it's an honest mistake and that they were not trying to defraud me, but you would think they know what they're doing better than to make such a mistake.

Comments

• DeeCee
    DeeCee Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe contact info in this other thread may help...
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=13660255&postcount=6
  • rbulph
    rbulph Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No reply from holidayautos within the 24 hours promised. I'll try the person you recommend.
  • rbulph
    rbulph Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Finally got reimbursed. Not sure whether the car hire company was going to do this anyway, or pressure from Holiday Autos got them to do it. Anyway Holiday Autos were pretty reasonable in dealing with this, including sending me a letter. I think that if the car hire company could have been clearer about what they were charging me for, and when I could expect reimbursement, the hassle would have been avoided. As it was, the terms on the rental form were all rather opaque.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure