ZoeGirls Five Year Challenge

edited 29 April 2009 at 10:51AM in How much have you saved?
31 replies 4.3K views
ZoeGirl_3ZoeGirl_3 Forumite
383 Posts
✭✭
edited 29 April 2009 at 10:51AM in How much have you saved?
Having read different diarys around, I want one myself, just so I have a place to sort of write what I have been doing so I feel sort of accountable if that makes any sense? :confused:

Anyway, to explain my challenge, I wrote up some goals to reach before I turned 30 (am 25 and a half now) and I am so keen to meet them I am saving like mad and very excited still. I also had friendly bets with several family members that I could do it (for extra motivation).

So before I am 30 I have to:
  • Own my own house outright (no mortgage)
  • Fully fund my emergency fund ($3000)
Currently I save 69% of my after tax income, because I have few outgoings, and am frugal within reason.

I also want to try different things and have a record of what I have been doing. So if anyone wants to read my ramblings and add their opinions that would be great, otherwise :p (;) ).

Am going to create at bottom a list of links to recipes/ tips I have posted on MSE!! So I can find em lol.

Self Crusting Quiche = http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=14220591&postcount=66
Cheesy Meat Balls = http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=14220877&postcount=68
Veggie Burgers = http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=14511251&postcount=11

Ones I have seen from other people that I like/ want to try:

Cheesy Bean Pie = http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=14506731&postcount=17

Other
Ideas for recyling a pair of black pants = http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=20991379&postcount=28
"Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without!!"
Nov NSD: ?/30 Nov Make 10 Day ?/300
Get Rid Of Debt: ?/2000 !! :mad:

Replies

• Cinny91Cinny91 Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the best of luck!!! I'm sure you'll be able to do it. It is strange how just putting things down in a post, or your own thread makes you see it more clearly. Seeing how my thread is in this part aswell, I'll keep coming in to cheer you on! Good luck again.
  • ZoeGirl_3ZoeGirl_3 Forumite
    383 Posts
    ✭✭
    Okay, first real post! I was just checking my budget spreadsheet (am pretty addicted lol) and thinking I need to break this years goals down into smaller goals, because then I feel like I am getting somewhere before the end of the year, which just seems too far away...

My mini goal for this year is $30k saved up, so I am not far off, and think I might post some running talley in my sig soon. (DONE)

Today I went out for the day with a friend (car pooled so that was good) and did spend a bit on entry to fun park etc but I had it spare in my general budget and I don't do that kind of thing often, so its okay. :j

Also, I need to make a list of things to make and mend, and have small achievable goals each week so it doesn't get lumped in the too hard basket. I liked how memorygirl had some little goal for her craft somewhere in her diary (can't remember what it was...)
    PS: Thanks Cindy for your post. Checked out your thread too. :beer:
    383 Posts
    ✭✭
    Okay, been sick recently, but still trucking along :j

Have been putting some stuff online to sell recently, and made $18, and it all helps with savings goals. Want to put some more stuff online when I get a chance, might fill up a bag in the school holidays (three weeks to go) so I can clear out a bit. Books, clothes etc.

Did a big shop in the weekend, since I was over in a bigger shopping area with cheaper food etc. So a bit over budget there, but shuffled my budget to fit it in ... :rotfl:

Made crumbed snitzel for dinner, and used crumbled crackers (because I didnt like the crackers) and it made a really nice crumb.

For people who don't know how to crumb meat you dip in whisked egg white and then dip in the stuff you want to crumb it with, in this case broken crackers, and then I fried in a little oil. Yummmy.

Have cut up and hemmed some old towels to use as cleaning cloths so that will save some money too.

:T
  • Hi ZoeGirl

Just came across this thread and popped in to say hope it goes well for you and you achieve your goal.

Mind you the way that house prices are dropping, the amount required for a deposit has probably dropped as well!

So each dollar that you put away is worth $1.15 (with the 15% decrease in house prices)

Cheers
    Jennie
    383 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks Jennie, that is a good point. I am hanging out that house prices keep dropping over the next year or so, but realise people with houses don't want this to happen lol :o

Okay, so I am going to start making a list of things I want to do in the school holidays and then start crossing them off as I do them during hols.

1) Want to make a felt outer/ waterproof lining inner homework pouch for my son with a bit of felt applique on the outside (probably a dinosaur) and his name the same size as his current one which is barely made a term. Want to put this away for xmas if possible (ie, he doesn't see me!). Will post pics when done...

2) Want to finish up some squares of my crochet blankets as I have two half started ones and might as well work on getting one finished a bit more. Aiming for 5 squares minimum so I actually do it.

3) Want to make a waterproof material soccer boot bag for my son for next year for xmas as well. Because they muddy boots mess up my car. Am going to be VERY frugal here (yikes :o ) and make it out of the material part of an old umbrella.

4) Want to do my mending, I have lots of things I can't use at the moment because of a little bit of sewing needs to be done, hems, holes, etc. Want to have all this sorted before end of hols.

5) Also, want to investigate making felt fridge magnet frames, eg, felt with the magnet stuck on the back, since I have a lot of it and am quite good at felt applique lol. These I figure would make good good little filler xmas presents for people along with something else little...

6) Am sure I will have more to come, watch this space lol, I will come back and edit so it is in the same post...
  • Keep it up Zoe! :)
    \\ Debt Free April 2008 //
    \\ Single Mummy to 1 boy - 4 years & 5 months old //
    \\ Last weeks spend: £139.39 - 2 NSDs //
    383 Posts
    ✭✭
    I am a teacher and it is the last week of term next week and I am just SOOOO tired. :o Bought dinner tonight (cheap dinner - lol) because I had a late meeting and I was feeling very lazy. Trouble is I budget every dollar and I don't budget for eating out, so I have to be creative to eat out, which puts me off most of the time. Eg, this month I have walked over sometimes instead of driven and have saved some gas, and because I have spent less on gas I could afford it.

Am going to try and live off my stock cupboards for a week the first week of the holidays as my son will be away for a week staying with his dad. Means I will be able to get lots of the crafts etc in my list above done and if any friends come over then I will have to whip up something tasty. I stocked up on cheap butter and have LOADS of flour so its okay.

There are a few work things I NEED to get done in the holidays :eek: so I might have to make a list of those too. :o
  • Enjoy the school holidays Zoe :)
    \\ Debt Free April 2008 //
    \\ Single Mummy to 1 boy - 4 years & 5 months old //
    \\ Last weeks spend: £139.39 - 2 NSDs //
    383 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have a confession to make...I am becomming addicted to listing all my stuff on online auction sites :eek:

Have signed myself up for two new challenges, both of which I love the sound of by the way, you should be able to see them in my signature too.

They are:

(1) To make a payment everyday, in my case with no debts this will be to save something everyday. So everyday, I am going to put something into my savings account even if it is just $0.10c lol. I think this is a great idea as it would keep you focused on your goals. And everyday it makes you think of all those unecessary purchases you might consider in a new light.

(2) The second is a bit nutty of me, it is to make $1000 by the end of the year. Hence the addiction to online auction sites. I have listed a whole lot of books, and some of my sons old clothes and a few other things. Have actually sold a few things already, so this is a great start to my $1000. Not sure I will make it, but am prepared to have a damn good go. :o
    383 Posts
    ✭✭
    Have been making a weekly plan of meals for just me as son is away this week staying with his dad. Trying to use up all odds and ends and clear out the freezer so I can defrost it. Besides, I have over shot my food budget two months in a row and need to do hard penance lol. :o

Tried the following to use up kidney beans and it was really yummy. I used a mix of the veges and the whole tin of beans I had which was 425g. As long as you use a similar amount of beans and veges then it should work okay and you can adjust other ingredients.

Veggie Burgers

400g can red kidney beans (approx 14 ounces)
    400g sweet potato, carrot or parsnip, cut into chunks (approx 14 ounces)
    2 Tbsp oil
    1 chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves crushed
    1 Tbsp plain flour
    1 Tbsp tomato puree/ sauce
    2 tsp soy sauce

Drain beans and rinse, drain well. Put in a bowl and mash, or blend in blender. Boil veges until quite soft, drain and mash.

Heat 1Tbsp oil in a pan and fry onion and garlic for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mashed vege and cook for another 5 mins, stirring frequently. Put in bowl or blender with bean mix and add flour, tomato puree/sauce and soy sauce. Mix well.

Shape into 4 large or 8 smaller burgers and flour lightly. Fry in the remaining 1Tbsp oil. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up