We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

LaptopsDirect.co.uk - Up for an award - I don't think so!

Options
I recently purchased an expensive laptop from Laptops Direct.co.uk. I chose their site because they were nominated for an award by the magazine What Laptop?

I paid an extra £15 to get a Saturday delivery, because I work full time. I waited in all day - it didn't arrive. Customer Services don't work weekends so I called Monday and they promised a 09:30am delivery for Tues. I waited - it didn't arrive! Called and they apologised and said that the delivery booked had actually been next day only - I had to go to work, so they said they would deliver again the next day, but "as a courtesy" they would deliver to my work address. Wed came and went - no laptop. They called to say there had been another mix-up and that they would re-deliver between 9 and 12 at my work on Thu. The delivery time came and went - no laptop. I called them and they apologised and said there had been another problem and they would deliver to my home address by 09:30am on Fri morning, but that they would give me a free carry case bundled with a wireless mouse as compensation. Wow!

Still with me?.......so Fri morning 09:30am and no laptop (Can you see a trend forming here?) I called and they said that the courier was lost and would be with me in 20 mins. 30 mins later he turns up. I checked the box and seals....all Ok, so I signed for it. Wey Hey it's here! :j

I opened it up and what do you think................there was a huge crack down the centre of the screen. It had obviously happened some time ago as there was a build up of liquid at the bottom of the screen.

I called and they apologised profusely (maybe that's why they were nominated for an award...the constant apologising!) and promised another Sat morning delivery (deja vu!). So here I am.........still waiting and I thought I'd try out the wireless mouse.............what a surprise...it doesn't work.

By the way all through this I have threatened to cancel, but to be honest they gave me a really good price and finance deal and I didn't want to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Tomorrow is the last straw.......if it doesn't arrive, then I am cancelling!

Sorry for the long post....I wanted to warn others of potential problems with this company. I will let you know if it arrives tomorrow, if you're interested.

By the way, they didn't get the award it went to dabs.com. :rotfl:

Comments

• ps_live
    ps_live Posts: 143 Forumite
    Options
    Well, has it come?
    Debt-free as of 01.10.08. I will never have a CC again and I'm "in the black" :beer:
  • headcovers
    Options
    Oh sorry - as I had no replies I assumed that no-one was interested. Yes it finally arrived on the saturday morning, intact and working fine.....thank goodness!

They collected the broken one from my workplace on the Monday as agreed. I was secretly hoping that they would muck this up as well and forget to collect it and I would squirrel it away for a year and then claim on my home insurance. Trust them to get that bit right :p

I must admit it is a lovely laptop, despite the hell I went through to get it.
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Out of interest, did you ask for more compensation on it?

Re claiming it on insurance, come on you know better, that's fraud.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • headcovers
    Options
    I'm too much of a scardey-cat to really claim on my insurance. :naughty:

As compensation for the hassle they gave me a free laptop carry case and optical wireless mouse. Not much for all the hell I went through, but at least they made the effort.
  • wobbley
    wobbley Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think most companies have problems of this type every now and again . It's how they deal with it that really matters, and they did make efforts to keep you happy.
    Light blue touchpaper and stand well back !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport