Dress Dilemma - I Cannot Choose!!!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
37 replies 1.3K views
Sammy_GirlSammy_Girl Forumite
3.4K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
Hi All,

Firstly let me apologise :o . I was originally going to get a Milly/Landy dress from the internet at a much more cost effective price. The plan was to try dresses on in boutiques to get the style of dress that I like and then order something similar off the internet........but the inevitable has happened. I've fallen in love with 2 of the dresses and so will not be buying Milly/Landy. Sorry :o

On the plus side, the two dresses are both in a sale (although at different boutiques) and I have haggled the price down further. The choices are:

Dress A - Beautiful taffeta Justin Alexander ivory dress. Sample dress that fits like a glove. Partly beaded bodice and huuuuuge skirt and train. Can be bustled up after the church so that I'm not dragging the train around!! Dress cost £550 (Originally £1295) + £50 alterations (only hem needs doing). Total £600

Dress B - Beautiful silk and silk tulle (so soft :D ) dress (I forget the name :o ). Swarovski crystals and embroidery all over corset. Two piece and corset ties up at the back. Huge skirt and the bustle is to die for. Dress cost £500 (originally £999) + £100 alterations. Total £600

So which do I choose???? Dress A is so sophisticated and classy, but plain. Dress B is still classy but a bit more quirky and is made of silk. But I cannot choose. Both are samples and are being held for 24 hours for me, but I need to decide and don't know what to do. Anyone else been in this situation and how did you choose????

Thank you :D

Replies

• aimee21jaimee21j Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Sorry to see you in this situation! I knew mine was the one as soon as I put it on so can not imagine your dilemma! Do you have any pics of the dresses for us to help you decide between? It may also be useful to say what kind of ceremony you are having and the kind of reception you are having (stately home or other).

Your second dress sounds a lot like the one I have collected today for me...so I'll probably be biased.
  • Stephb1986_2Stephb1986_2 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm struggling between 2 on landy so i know what its like, find similar pics on the internet and let us have a look we'll put it to the vote and decide for you :D

Steph xx
  • id go for number two but i like sparkly and quirky and silk oh wait it sounds like my dress anyway. lol (you can have mine for half that lol)
    now proud mum to 3 handsome boys :j latest one born 10/10/11:j
  • aimee21jaimee21j Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Stephb1986 wrote: »
    I'm struggling between 2 on landy so i know what its like, find similar pics on the internet and let us have a look we'll put it to the vote and decide for you :D

Steph xx

Show us your two dresses Steph.
  • HoraceHorace Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sammy which one feels the most comfortable as though it was made for you -Choose the one that fits you best.

Ask the shops if you can try them on again.

Write a list of what you like and don't like about both dresses - buy the one with more likes than dislikes.

Mind you, I like the sound of the one with the crystals and silk.
  • whitewingwhitewing Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When are you getting married?

Could you buy both, and choose the best nearer the time, on the basis that you could probably get your money back on an unworn, unaltered one by selling it on again?

I just got married, and don't regret a penny of what I spent on the dress.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Stephb1986_2Stephb1986_2 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd show you but Landy is down at the moment :(

I will go and try some on at shops might end up falling in love with something there :)

Steph xx
  • Sammy_GirlSammy_Girl Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Thanks for the replies :)

Unfortunately I do not have piccies. I tried to find the Justin Alexander on the website but they didn't have it. Must not be current. I forget the name of the second, but because it was from a very small boutique I remember the owner saying that she works in conjunction with this designer to create the dress.

Whitewing, I would love to buy both but my budget does not stretch that far lol!

I must admit that I am veering towards dress 2. It is different and I went into this shopping thinking that I want a big dress with some detail, and it definitely has that lol. Plus, with dress 2 I would have a short veil, but would need a long veil with dress 1. And the prices of a long veil is £200 :eek:

Plus, dress 2, she said that I could pay for it all upfront and then take it home the same day, then bring it back Easter time for the alterations and the cleaning. Then I will have something pretty to look at every day :)
  • Sammy_GirlSammy_Girl Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Sorry, I forgot to say. The ceremony will be in our local parish church and the reception is in a country golf club :) So nice big dress and train definitely needed :)
  • HoraceHorace Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sammy - decision is made then Dress 2 it is. It will be a bit more unique if it is coming from a small boutique.

I am sure you will look gorgeous in it - so don't forget to post some pics of the big day with you in it:D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals