PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    Hi eveyone!

We ended up having chips for dinner last night from the chip shop so that was another £6. The excuse? None really except we had been in the garden til gone 1900 and were both hungry and my OH wanted to give me a treat so he bought sausage and chips and a big bar of galaxy chocolate for me cos he knows how upset I have been!

I have amended my signature accordingly and tonight it is corned beef flan with new potatoes so back on track!

Home wise - we are still flushing the loo with buckets as our usual plumber hasn't called us back yet and everyone else charges a huge call out fee which we can't afford and now the washing machine has flatly refused to work.. More expense!

Well done to Fairy Elephant, you have done brilliently!!

BigMumma - my mother always used to make us 'crisps' from the potato peelings, but she would deep fry them, I shall have to try your oven version cos they sounded just as nice!

I hope everyone is doing well.

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • angelaf_3
    Options
    I'm still hanging in there. Eating out of the cupboards as much as poss and although I'm way under my food budget I can't believe what essentials have cost.

This challengd is a great eye opener.
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wow it really is an eye opener....

i will be signing up for the next one, but you guys have all been an ispiration...

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi all, just updating sig because i had to go to Asda this morning for pack lunch stuff for everyone, no more free school meals now me and OH are students, so from monday i'm needing to do pack ups for everyone. I'm hoping not to have to increase my budget because of this, but we will have to see hey :rolleyes: . I have been looking on the pack lunch threads and have a few ideas to keep the costs down.

Also for anyone who uses it, Asda are doing 2 for £1 on the Billingtons light and dark muscavado sugar, i needed some to turn my green toms into something yummy :j .

Jackie x
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    Options
    i meant to say earlier

part of the reason i will be over budget is because i have finally persuaded OH to take a pack lunch to work with him.:j :j
    I hadnt factored that into my totals.
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    Options
    jackk wrote: »
    Hi all, just updating sig because i had to go to Asda this morning for pack lunch stuff for everyone, no more free school meals now me and OH are students, so from monday i'm needing to do pack ups for everyone. I'm hoping not to have to increase my budget because of this, but we will have to see hey :rolleyes: . I have been looking on the pack lunch threads and have a few ideas to keep the costs down.

Also for anyone who uses it, Asda are doing 2 for £1 on the Billingtons light and dark muscavado sugar, i needed some to turn my green toms into something yummy :j .

Jackie x
    are you sure you dont qualify for free meals?
    surely you are on a low income then?
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • Angelraesunshine
    Options
    well my running total is now at £229.15.

This is now including a bulk shop from Macro wich will last a few months on some items and this weeks shop from aldi which was £32.40. this did include a few treats for me to take to work now i have started a new job.

In aldi i actually bought bread, i have been making my own for about 14 months but found that the artisan bread was not great for the kids sarnies and the bread machine i have needs replacing was bought 2nd hand and is just not good anymore. i dont want to be buying bread but as i have just started to go back to work and do not have as much time until i sort myself out and get a new BM then i might just have to for a few months.

looking good for keeping on target though
    Still Trying :o
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
  • moneypooh
    moneypooh Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had such a fantastic MSE year this year, but this is possibly one of my last financial overhauls to do.

I have been reading through the posts and am really encouraged to start next month. I have been collecting info this month as I really don't have a good budget at all. I haven't a fixed amount so it will be really interesting. I don't overspend as a general rule, but I will be looking at swapping things to save a bit here and there. Takeaways are always a temptation, especially when we all get home from work/school and can't be bothered.

brilliant thread - thanks guys.:D
  • echelon101
    Options
    Tescos Plain Flour 1.5kg = 33p

Bread making here I come!
    (Made about 20 loaves in my time and learnt that different flours are pretty much all the same)
    Buy for value not cost.
    Feb Grocery = £55.87 / 80
  • mummygems
    Options
    I think I am yet again going to go over budget this month (bangs head against brick wall).

I decided to try one of those veg boxes delivered to your door things that some of you have talked about before but was shocked at the price of things and when I compared it to what I usually buy its like £10 more expensive. Hopefully I wont go far over budget as I am going to use the store cupboard and freezer for food next week so its just fresh bits, milk and baby milk to get.

Also, I have a couple of really stupid questions so please bear with me and dont laugh!

I have some tomatoes that came in my veg box but that I dont eat so I thought I could make them into tomato paste/sauce. I know I have to cut them and boil them but for how long? Do I cut the top or the bottom and do I put them in a pan and boil or put them in a pan of boiling water? Stupid me but I have never done anything like this before and I dont want to waste them.

Next thing is cabbage, I have some (again from veg box). I dont mind a little of cabbage but wouldnt want it every day. Can I blanch and feeeze it or does anyone have a recipe that I can use it in (preferably not cabbage soup lol).

October has just got to be the month that I make it under or on budget. Am going to read all the previous topics from Weezl and those type things as I am obviously going wrong somewhere with the spending seeing as there is DH and me, 2yr old DD and 5 month old DD and we are spending £350 a month (this does include nappies and baby formula and cleaning stuff).

I am sure I will get there but fingers crossed its sooner rather than later else we wont be able to afford to do anything else!

Hope everyone else is getting on okay.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport