Wanted - Cheapest Broadband for existing Onetel phone customer

Options
I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for giving my mum (an existing Onetel line rental customer) some advice on who to plump for when setting up a new (first time) broadband connection.
First a bit background and a few questions that perhaps someone can help with.

Mum is a pensioner who is at home most of the time.

Mum tells me that they (mum and her husband) got a cheap line rental including free weekend (and possibly free evening calls?) through Onetel which they signed up to when they switched over to British Gas for both electricity and gas supply. I think they pay about a tenner a month for this phone service and I'm not sure if they are able to make cheap calls through access numbers such as 18866 with a Onetel line rental or where they stand in taking a broadband connection with a provider other than Onetel i.e. do Onetel require you to use their services if you are not renting the line from BT.

Mum's husband pays the bills and keeps his own counsel until he can be convinced that he will save money. He said today that he is NOT going to change gas/electric suppliers again, he is sticking with them it seems as he got fed up with people at his door asking him to change, so although I know they could do better I'm not looking for advice on that particularly, its merely to paint a picture of the situation.
He has also been "in the right" all of his life but I seemed to rock his boat quite a bit today when I projected some figure for dial up internet costs and compared them to cheap broadband costs - he seem particularly taken by the thought of using broadband to make international calls (I have a brother who lives abroad - the baby of the family so I'm sure mum's phone costs must be high).

Set up info with her new computer seemed to indicate, for dial up internet connection at least, that a BT line was required (AOL, Ticali and one other on the desk top hoping she would click), is it the same for Broadband?
Today she got hooked up to Onetel for dial up internet - expensive I thought at 3p connection fee plus 1.5p per minute. I reckon that if she only used the internet for an hour a day, 5 times a week that she would be cheaper with a broadband connection and obviously greater savings the more she used the internet.

I had a bit of difficulty getting information when I spoke to customer services at Onetel, wasn't sure if I was being palmed off or if they couldn't understand my "regional accent" - I also had difficulty understanding them.

Ok, here we go.......

1) Can she stay on Onetel for phone use and line rental while using a different Broadband service provider?

2) If she stays with Onetel for broadband and phone, what would their best deal be (It seemed to be £19.99 including weekend calls from a recent leaflet she has but then she already has free weekend calls)?

3) Is it the case that she is only going to pay £10 a month extra with Onetel in taking Broadband (see point 2)?

4) Which providers offer the cheapest initial set up costs?

5) Which ISP offers the best monthly cost?

6) Do the cheapest such as v21 at about £10 a month include a free modem, I've heard that they take about £45 for setting up the phone line to make that broadband ready but I'm not clear if that includes a modem?

7) If she has to migrate back to a BT line to access Broadband services apart from Onetel or just for a better deal, any tips would be helpful.

8) She is not in a cable area, although they have SKY - do they offer anything which might tie in?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure