Getting out of gym membership

Options
Right, I'm half way through my year of gym membership with Virgin Active and yes I've realised that it was a huge mistake and I need to get out of it. I'm really skint (as my name suggests) and soooo can't afford it.

Is there anyway I can talk them into letting me out or reducing my monthly payment? I know that they do this thing where by they reduce what I pay per month (like if I was to go away for a while or unable to use my membership) but this would just put back the end of my contract.

Do you think there is anyway around this, or am I just stuck with it til next Jan?

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless you can find them in breach of the contract then you're probably stuck with it I'm afraid...
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I got out of my contract by writing them a letter stating that you are giving them a months notice, and that is that. I would be cancelling the direct debit and I told them that my leaving did not have any real material effect leaving and therefore it was an unfair contract (ie there was no real cost to them setting up my membership, and so to try and charge me the exit fee was disproportionate). They disputed this but I just stood firm, esp when they sent it onto a DCA, and then it was a case of "there is no debt to enforce" etc etc.

They eventually got lost when they realised they weren't getting a penny.

If you really want to know more, pm me :)

Regards

Stu
  • SkintMonkey
    Options
    So I guess I'm stuck with it then? I thought about contacting them at the centre and pleading poverty and ask them to cancel it out of goodwill, but don't want to put myself through that if they will automatically say no.
  • claireabelle_2
    Options
    I got out of mine (different chain) by saying I was moving to a different city without that gym there (the first bit was true!), can you say that?
  • SkintMonkey
    Options
    I got out of mine (different chain) by saying I was moving to a different city without that gym there (the first bit was true!), can you say that?

My husband, who goes all the time so benefits from his membership, is a member so it would probably look a bit suss.
  • SkintMonkey
    Options
    If I was to contact the centre about cancelling (or reducing) my membership, would the manager be able to approve it? Was thinking about just trying in a nice polite kind of way...
  • basill
    basill Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you do make a deal with the local manager ensure there is some written proof of your arrangement.
    If you stay until the end of your agreement make sure you send your notice to head office by recorded delivery and in plenty of time for the end of the 12th month.
    My notice handed in to the counter `went astray` somewhere, the first I knew of it was when they continued to take the direct debit. That cost me an extra month as I did not cancel by a recorded letter. This condition was in the T&Cs somewhere.

Thought I`d better add this was not a Virgin gym but none of them likes people to leave :)

B
  • OliveOyl_2
    OliveOyl_2 Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Options
    I think Virgin are kinder than others.
    Work colleague of mine and his gf both stopped going and tried to cancel and were treated sympathetically. I think they had to pay 50% for a while. Good Luck anyway.
  • SkintMonkey
    Options
    I will ring up the Virign Active centre tomorrow and just try and see how successful I am. Even if they can reduce it for me I don't mind, I just don't want to pay full wack as I'm not going so it is a total waste of money!
  • barnaby-bear
    barnaby-bear Posts: 4,142 Forumite
    Options

My husband, who goes all the time so benefits from his membership, is a member so it would probably look a bit suss.
    Husband? Ping! Ligtbulb!
    Are you sure you aren't pregnant? Really sure? Advised not to exercise as 'complications'?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure