Credit Reference and scoring discussion area

Options

Comments

• cattmul
    Options
    Hi

Not too sure if this is the right place to post this so apologies if it's not! Even though i pay all my bills before they are due and have never defaulted on anything I keep getting turned down for credit so i got a copy of my credit file. It says I have a "arrangement to pay" on one of my accounts that I closed years ago which may be causing me to be declined for credit. I have no idea what this is or how it got on to my account! Does anyone know what it is and how I get rid of it?? Thanks,
  • Heddwen_2
    Heddwen_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Few quickies

1 - how long would it take for anything to appear on the credit history / score files?

2 - I have a string of catalogue application entirs on my report, many of which I have never applied for or used. Infact there is only 1 which should be on there - how do I get the others removed and will these simple checks adversly affect my score?

Thanks

:)
  • jimmy_2-2
    jimmy_2-2 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I've a big problem and someone out there may possibly be able to assist.

I declared myself bankrupt just over 4 years ago after I finally realised that lending more money was not going to get me out of the trouble that I was already in (much to the dis-satisfaction of the existing lenders and the ones who were still determined to let me borrow more).

Anyway, I was discharged last August although I was silly enough not to purchase the certificate (which I have ordered today) of discharge as I felt that I no longer ever wanted to borrow again, and that I rather enjoyed using cash instead of plastic.

I am now, and have been for a number of years, in need of a new kitchen. I have saved just over £1000 but the total cost is going to be more like £3000 and in fairness things cant really wait any longer.

My partner has attempted to borrow the money from the HSBC who already verbally agreed to the loan over the phone and then withdrew their promise when she went in the bank today. Is their anywhere that I or my girlfreind is likely to be able to borrow 2000 pounds from. Once I have sent my certificate of discharge to teh credit reference agencies is that likely to make that much of a difference. ??? ??? ???

Should I attempt to go to my existing mortgage lender and ask them for a 2nd mortgage. I really dont know what to do now, and am becoming rather concerned. ???

Regards

Jim
  • 100mel
    100mel Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    I have a question. I have just successfully completed an IVA caused through a failed business and want to start repairing my credit record. Would it be a good idea to write to credit reference companies with a copy of my certificate of completion so that at least this goes on my credit record?
  • Heddwen_2
    Options
    1 - how long would it take for anything to appear on the credit history / score files?

2 - I have a string of catalogue application entirs on my report, many of which I have never applied for or used. Infact there is only 1 which should be on there - how do I get the others removed and will these simple checks adversly affect my score?

Thanks

???
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Anything up to 2 months.
    Companies do monthly updates but there is no standard day this is done.

Firstly check that you aren't being associated with someone else i.e. are these all in your name?

You can be associated with someone if they have the same surname and same address.
    You need to contact the credit reference agencies and ask the to remove those entries - they will then put a note on your report to say you are disputing the entry and then they will investigate.

Whether they adversely affect your score depends on a number of things.
    A high level of available credit, defaults and lots of searches can lower your score.
    It depends on how manay there are, whether they are recent and whether there are any defaults.
  • Heddwen_2
    Options
    Thanks Lisyloo

:)
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just been turned down for a mobile phone contract because I failed the credit check, i could not believe it. I have never had a loan, the mortgage has been paid off for about 6 years, all our bills are on direct debit, even the credit card, the full balance is paid each month. It cost me £11.95 to find out why from Equifax, I have had 3 credit checks on me in less than 6 months,, 1. because I opened a Tessa only ISA with an Internet Bank, to put money in not borrow it. 2 Littlewoods catalogue because I ordered something on line that was returned immediatly, 3 for a mobile phone contract I purchased for a present for my son, and there seems to be nothing I can do about it until 6 months have passsed and they have cleared. I even have a 4th now from the one that was refused
  • PinkLipstickBabe
    Options
    I have just been turned down for a mobile phone contract because I failed the credit check, i could not believe it. I have never had a loan, the mortgage has been paid off for about 6 years, all our bills are on direct debit, even the credit card, the full balance is paid each month.  It cost me £11.95 to find out why from Equifax,  I have had 3 credit checks on me in less than 6 months,, 1. because I opened a Tessa only ISA with an Internet Bank, to put money in not borrow it. 2 Littlewoods catalogue because I ordered something on line that was returned immediatly, 3 for a mobile phone contract I purchased for a present for my son, and there seems to be nothing I can do about it until 6 months have passsed and they have cleared. I even have a 4th now from the one that was refused

I am shocked and stunned you have been turned down for your mobile phone contract! and from what you said about the searches on your credit file, it appears there is no early reason as to why you should have been declined. It doesn't really matter about the number of searches on your credit file (within reason) but what those searches are for. For example: your search with regards to an ISA  A/C merely shows you are an 'investor' rather than a borrower! I have had around 8 different searches on my credit report in the last 8 months - 1 for a Visa Card (which I got 7 months ago) several for 'investment' products and 1 for a catalogue (which I got from sending for a 'freebie' advertised on this site) and I applied for another credit card last week (CitiBank Platinum Visa) and I got it! That's with all those searches on my account! See, it doesn't matter how many searches within reason, its what they are for that makes a difference. Someone applying for numerous credit cards in the space of a week or so would get declined - and with good reason.
    Your credit history sounds exemplary, I have no idea why you were refused your mobile contract. Are you sure there is nothing sinister on your credit report? Sorry, that's all the help I can give.

PinkLipstickBabe
    An English Girl who Loves
    SCOTLAND!
    :p
  • Ant1
    Ant1 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe it would be worth checking your Experian file as well?

Just order the postal version for £2 (rather than the more expensive online one) and something may show up on there that explains it.

Ant
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport