debt collector letters for previous tenant

Options

Comments

• beautyqueen88
    Options
    i had this problem when i rented for a while i rang them numerous times and the man on the other end was quite nasty and asked me no end of questions even though i had told him i had just moved in and it had nothing to do with me, i think he was wanting me to admit i was really the person they were after lol.
    got me really mad, i was still getting the letters when i moved out a year later. not your problem at all tell your landlord.
  • MrsMillar
    Options
    Why are you just putting the letters in the bin? It's no real effort to scribble "not at this address - return to sender" on the envelope and put it back in the post. Regarding the magazine subscriptions, the publisher is more than likely charging the previous occupant still, thinking they are benefitting from the subscription. I know the previous occupant is stupid for not changing addresses, or setting up mail redirection, but it only takes a little effort from everyone to make the world a slightly better place.

This is a reply to this message:

I live in a house converted to 4 flats and the post is coming for 10 different people who used to live at this address. I put all these letters straight to the bin.

We even get magazines for previous tenants who never thought about changing subscription address.
  • Eydon
    Eydon Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just because you've written "Not known at this address - return to sender" on the envelope and popped it back in the post, is no guarantee that the Royal Mail have actually returned it to sender.

I've lived in my current house for over two years and I'm still getting mail for the previous occupants, and the occupants before them. I originally popped it back in the post asking for it to be returned to sender, but it never seemed to work. I now find that sending a letter to the return address much more effective...but never sign your name - just in case.
  • NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    Eydon wrote: »
    Just because you've written "Not known at this address - return to sender" on the envelope and popped it back in the post, is no guarantee that the Royal Mail have actually returned it to sender.

This is true. When I last moved house I was getting lots of mail for the previous occupant and I wrote "Not at this address, Return to Sender" onto the mail and reposted it.

It turned out that one of the items that I had been returning was to a DCA. They clearly ignored the fact that I had returned the mail in this way and started to phone me, one of the most unpleasant individuals I have ever had the pleasure to speak with.

Only when I stated in no uncertain terms that I was not the debtor and that the debtor had moved on and that they were risking being reported for harassment did they actually go away.

Its easy to see how innocent people can be bullied by these DCA's to paying other people's debts.
  • jackiegibbo
    Options
    As a postwoman if a resident i know speaks to me about a problem they are having with a former tenant/houseowners mail i always tell them just to write RTS on it or leave it out for me and i will put a kill off sticker when i get back to my office on it and start it through the process of going back to the original sender.Dont open anything as obviously its illegal and also you just end up worrying about it
  • MrsMillar
    MrsMillar Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Eydon wrote: »

Oh, OK. Your experience is clearly different to mine. I find that whilst it might take a few Returns to Sender for the message to sink in, the mail does drop off eventually. I just have a "thing" about opening mail that's not addressed to me (so would only do that to find a return address if it's not on the envelope).
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jscalow wrote: »
    The letters are sent automatically until the customer contacts. we are very aware that the cust is probably not at the addr- however eventually (hopefully) a letter will be passed on to the cust and when contct is made any addr detials will be updated. third parties will often call in response to a letter they've opened to adv the cust is no longer at an address, and in some instancies may even offer a forwarding address. Due to data protection we can not alter a/c details without the customers say so. hence you carry on recieving the letters. If I owed you £10K wouldn't you carry on sending out 35p letters to every known addr I had? Its just fishing, the more hooks and lines the more you catch.

NO I would carry on sending out letters as this HARASSMENT AND IT IS ALSO ILLEGAL!!!!!!
    How can even person say something like this?
  • scott_lithgows
    Options
    Write "Gone Away" on the letter and put it in a postbox,us posties are told to deliver everything as addressed.If you still get them put "Refused" on the letter
    I have a deep burning indifference
  • Eydon
    Eydon Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrsMillar wrote: »
    I just have a "thing" about opening mail that's not addressed to me (so would only do that to find a return address if it's not on the envelope).

I'd never open the letter, because that's an offence (isn't it).
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i have lived in my own home for 2 years and the previous owners lived here 2 years before that, the house was a private rental property before that. i get lots of letters for a mr J P****** who rented my address 5 years ago. i used to send all his mail return to sender untill i was approached by a baliff trying to recover debts in his name while i was gardening!! since then i have opened all letters in his name and contacted the agencies concerned, i have never been challanged for interferring with his mail, although i have the advantage of telling them to check with land registary that the property has changed hands twice since the debts were run up. all goes quiet for a few months and then the debts recirculate and letters start again it seems they are just being moved from one agency to another.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure