Are you a voucherista or voucherhata? Poll results/discussion

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
18 replies 7.2K views
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
Poll between 18-26 August 2008:

Are you a voucherista or voucherhata?

The growth of discount vouchers has seen the rise of Voucheristas; people who choose their restaurants, shops and days out based on whether there’s a voucher. Yet, sadly some are embarrassed or think it's uncouth to use them, especially when eating out.

Which is nearest your experience of using vouchers?

A. My friends and I are voucheristas - 42% (1834 votes)
B. I’m a voucherista but some friends get embarrassed by it - 31% (1338 votes)
C. I can’t be bothered with vouchers - 11% (475 votes)
D. It’s embarrassing I hate it when friends do it - 3% (147 votes)
E. I’ve not tried vouchers yet - 11% (490 votes)
F. I’ve too much money to care - 2% (88 votes)

This vote has now closed, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

Replies

• JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere between B and C. Would use a voucher if I had one and I wanted to go to the place in question. But wouldn't let the tail wag the dog (unless the voucher meant the trip would be free).
  • I often look at where i am going and see if i can get a voucher for it. If there is a voucher for a restaurant nearby it makes it easier to choose where to eat.

I think its strange that people have selected the option 'they have too much money to care' considering this is a money saving website.

Personally although i am not strapped for cash if i can get something cheaper then i will.
  • nzseries1nzseries1 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Vouchers, vouchers, vouchers....

VOUCHERS !!!

I luuuuurrrrvvvvveeee the vouchers.

I've been laughed at several times by my friends for this, and although it does get to me a little, I'm not changing!
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • sparrersparrer Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a voucherista. Like Camilla I can't believe that people really have too much money to care. What are they doing here:confused: ?

If it weren't for vouchers I wouldn't be able to take my grandkids out (Sun holidays, Legoland, Festival of Speed, Renault World Series, Motor Show etc etc), or have a few extra treats myself. Even small stuff like a free tub of cream cheese feels like a bit of a 'prize' iykwim. Only cut out/print the vouchers I will definitely use, or give them to my neighbour who's a single mum.
  • mau408mau408 Forumite
    178 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I saved and cut up some vouchers for JD Wetherspoons from one of their monthly newsletters. Went out one night on town with a couple of friends and took vouchers with me to the local wetherspoons. Anyways it was my round and my friends all chose one of the vouchers so went up to bar and instead of yelling the order over the bar I just gave the guy behind the bar the vouchers. He knew immediately exactly what I wanted without another word! Everyone stood behind me in the queue were overjoyed by the fact that they could get served quicker by not taking to ages explaining my order to the guy behind the bar, or forgetting and yelling behind to ask what my mates wanted to drink! And even more on the plus side my round was probably the cheapest of the entire night!!!!:rotfl:
    :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
  • I've really cottoned onto vouchers this summer holidays....

used loads of kellogs swimming vouchers at our local pool, saving £4 each time.. at first i used one voucher and paid for one, but nowi don't even bother paying any cash I just voucher us both!

i also used 3 x brit trip half price entry vouchers for 3 adults to get in sealife centre in blackpool, and paid full price for child as there wasn't a voucher for her... still cost us £30 to get in, so i didn't feel bad about using the vouchers!

i've also used walkers brit trips to get BOGOF meals at pubs, no problems....

Cashed in my tesco points, only £2.50, to cover a £10 entry into local science centre during the holidays....

Herbal essense shampoo free haircut offer - my DD got her hair cut and blow dried for free this weekend, and we have another voucher to use which i will get my haircut too....

i also like to try to go to pictures on orange wednesdays!

My OH, says "fair play to you, but i'd be too embarrassed to whip out vouchers" He wasn't complaining when i saved him £25 at sealife centre!!

I have yet to get around to using all money off coupons as legal tender in supermarkets, which i think is sooooo cool!! i must do that sometime soon!
    I'm just a seething mass of contradictions....
    (it's part of my charm!)
  • shelovestobuystuffshelovestobuystuff Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont choose where to spend my money according to what vouchers I have but definately use them if I am going to the place anyway.I have used vouchers for cinema tickets,fast food,money off make-up,free stuff with another purchases etc.I would not go out of my way to use one unlike my mum who ,when I was little,stocked her cupboards according to what had a voucher or competition attached.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • MozetteMozette Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Why would you not?
  • *Louise**Louise* Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Course I would use them. It's just throwing money away if you don't.

I wouldn't go out of my way to use them - but if I was going on a day out, I'm not adverse to getting some money off considering the extortionate prices of things.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • VickyA_2VickyA_2 Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've recently become a little more of a voucherista, especially with the 2 for 1 deals in some restaurants. When we were recently on holiday abroad, I managed to sniff out some vouchers for local coffee shops and discount vouchers for attractions. DH was relatively impressed!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 declared
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals