We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

private number plate ?

13»

Comments

  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    anewman wrote: »
    Surprised they won't happily offer them at ebay cost, especially considering the hefty ebay and paypal fees that get taken out of the ebay price.

    i know,the only thing i can think of is feedback being the reason to sell cheaper on ebay.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    anewman wrote: »
    It is a legal requirement that the DVLA registered name of the company and postcode be on the bottom of the number plate. I suspect that they are not DVLA registered and any close inspection of their plates would reveal them to be technically illegal.

    .


    Yeah thanks I knew that...that is why I was querying the seller.;)


    I always buy mine from eBay, different seller, but he is fine.
  • I was wondering if you need any of the above mentioned when bidding for a number plate at one of DVLA's auctions? I don't have neither, but would like a persolised number plate now for possible use in the future if I get a car and driver's license. Otherwise I would like it as an investment. Thanks
    You can buy the right to display the number plate on a retention certificate for one year. If you do not transfer it to a car within that year, you can extend your right for that number plate for another year only (IIRC it costs £100), after which, if not used, I think you will lose the right to that number plate.
    So, for investment purposes, I think the maximum time you can keep hold of the right to display certain number plate is 2 years, if not used on a car.

    EDIT: The info in this post is wrong. See Inactive's post below.
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    You can buy the right to display the number plate on a retention certificate for one year. If you do not transfer it to a car within that year, you can extend your right for that number plate for another year only (IIRC it costs £100), after which, if not used, I think you will lose the right to that number plate.
    So, for investment purposes, I think the maximum time you can keep hole of the right to display certain number plate is 2 years, if not used on a car.

    Where did you get that information from ????

    It costs £25 a year to keep on retention, I have had one on retention for about 8 years.

    It isn't helpful to post innaccurate information on here.:rolleyes:

    Link here;
    http://www.dvlaregistrations.co.uk/home/en/FAQ/?id=TOTAL_COST#total_cost
  • Thanks for correcting the info in my post, Inactive.

    I think I was under impression from regtransfer people that I had only one year then I can extend it to one more year for a number plate we bought from them. I remember this impression very well, because we were hard pressed for money by then ( Now all is sorted after finding this website!) and we thought it would be not really moneysaving if we let the plate go back to regtransfer after we had it on retention for nearly two years when we got a letter from them. It might have been a marketing tactic as they were offering their services to transfer the reg to our car at the time.

    Anyway, I was wrong. Thank you for the link and the correction.

    EDIT: I had a quick look for the regtransfer's letter, but couldn't find it!( And yes!, I keep my letters even after 3 years!lol)
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Thanks for correcting the info in my post, Inactive.

    Anyway, I was wrong. Thank you for the link and the correction.

    EDIT: I had a quick look for the regtransfer's letter, but couldn't find it!( And yes!, I keep my letters even after 3 years!lol)


    Thanks for correcting things Thunderbird, sorted .. ;) :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.