We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

private number plate ?

2

Comments

  • tinkerbell84
    tinkerbell84 Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    anyone can buy a plate (or actually the right to display a plate)

    I bought mine a year before I bought the car!
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    jammin wrote: »
    Fancy Plates will make anything you want, and no ID required either.

    But, are they legal plates?

    Will they be OK when going for an MOT?
  • jammin_2
    jammin_2 Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    Inactive wrote: »
    But, are they legal plates?

    Will they be OK when going for an MOT?
    From the About Us page, at Fancy Plates:
    All plates and reflective materials we supply meet the requirements of BSAU 145d, however for our Standard UK plate customers, Fancy Plates guarantees peace of mind in that all plates ordered through this constructor are suitable for use on UK public roads and will pass any MOT/PSV tests.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    jammin wrote: »
    From the About Us page, at Fancy Plates:

    Thanks, but I cannot see any mention of them using their company details or post code on the plates.:confused:
  • jammin_2
    jammin_2 Posts: 2,461 Forumite
    Inactive wrote: »
    Thanks, but I cannot see any mention of them using their company details or post code on the plates.:confused:

    Neither can I, now that I look. No idea man. :confused:
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    jammin wrote: »
    Neither can I, now that I look. No idea man. :confused:


    W:confused: ell that leaves us both .. :confused::D
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Inactive wrote: »
    Thanks, but I cannot see any mention of them using their company details or post code on the plates.:confused:

    It is a legal requirement that the DVLA registered name of the company and postcode be on the bottom of the number plate. I suspect that they are not DVLA registered and any close inspection of their plates would reveal them to be technically illegal.

    There's an ebay seller called motoparts on ebay who prints out plates, no paperwork needed as they're based in scotland, and fully legal well printed plates.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    anewman wrote: »
    It is a legal requirement that the DVLA registered name of the company and postcode be on the bottom of the number plate. I suspect that they are not DVLA registered and any close inspection of their plates would reveal them to be technically illegal.

    There's an ebay seller called motoparts on ebay who prints out plates, no paperwork needed as they're based in scotland, and fully legal well printed plates.

    they are actually based in my home town,but its cheaper to buy them from ebay than walk into thier shop and get them! weird.:confused:
    ...work permit granted!
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    they are actually based in my home town,but its cheaper to buy them from ebay than walk into thier shop and get them! weird.:confused:
    Surprised they won't happily offer them at ebay cost, especially considering the hefty ebay and paypal fees that get taken out of the ebay price.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.