Removing Deleted files?

Options
sra
sra Posts: 4,678 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
I know there are plenty of shredder programs out there.
And I know there are plenty of programs to wipe a hard drive

But does anyone know of any programs that will wipe files that have already been deleted? - so that they cannot be found by a recovery program - while not interfering with any current files

preferably free

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    Options
    Webroots Window Washer any files that have gone in the reycle bin or
    a path to destroyed can be bleached upto 100 times.
  • Number_6_3
    Options
    You can get a free trial http://www.webroot.com/consumer/downloads/ also spysweeper is worth grabbing whilst your there.

HTH

R
  • sra
    Options
    I'm okay for deleting files securely. I'm looking for something that can remove stuff that was deleted a long time ago.

Eg progs like restoration can find and recover files I deleted ages ago.
  • HairyHatMan
    Options
    eraser wil overwrite freespace 35 times. That should do it.

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
  • shopbot
    shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sra wrote:
    I'm okay for deleting files securely. I'm looking for something that can remove stuff that was deleted a long time ago.

Eg progs like restoration can find and recover files I deleted ages ago.

On the restoration link you gave the description says "[font=Verdana,tahoma]it also provides the option to wipe the found files beyond simple recovery".

Does that function not erase the old files securely enough?

[/font]
  • sra
    Options
    shopbot wrote:
    On the restoration link you gave the description says "[font=Verdana,tahoma]it also provides the option to wipe the found files beyond simple recovery".

Does that function not erase the old files securely enough?

[/font]

I never even noticed that!

You can see why I missed it:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/restoration.htm

'Others' is a drop-menu

thanks everyone
    :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    PGP - Pretty Good Privacy, wipes all free space on a drive and over-writes as many times as you want. They guarantee (pretty much) placing a file beyond recovery by ANY agency.

Just google for them.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • 2ax
    2ax Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    It seems to me it would certainly be quicker to undelete everything then secure shred it, rather than to overwrite the whole empty space on the disk.

I have Eraser and a trial copy of Tune-Up Utilities,; I'm not going to do any calculation, but I reckon to do the whole disk with 35 passes would take a day or two, and that isn't a very large one.
  • sra
    Options
    2ax wrote:
    It seems to me it would certainly be quicker to undelete everything then secure shred it, rather than to overwrite the whole empty space on the disk.

A lot of Restore programs don't let you undelete. Restoration has a 'Restore by copying' so the original is still there.

there may be more options but I can't examine it yet as its already 70% through overwriting my delted files (Don't need to overwrite these particualr ones 35 times - my plans for world domination are on another computer :D )
  • matty_c608
    Options
    Try Evidence Eliminator. Quote:

"This masterpiece has defeated forensic software using DoD 5220.22-M standard data wiping, matching the U.S. Department of Defense recommendations"

Costs $99, use the 30 day trial though!

Still it's not perfect. the index file of the drive cannot be removed, and so there is a record of every file thats been on the drive.

The best way to clear your drive is to smash it into pieces with a hammer, and melt it LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure