We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Argos - no joy

Options
I went to the LLandudno branch of Argos and requested an item, when I reached the tills they told me that they didn't have the item in stock so I said "that's fine, I'll collect it when it arrives" but the shop assistant told me that they wouldn't be able to do that and that I would have to travel to either Mold, Chester or Holyhead.

So I said "ok, I'll give you my address and I'll have it delivered" and again I was told that I would have to travel to Mold, Chester or Holyhead.

I then asked if I could leave my details for somebody to get in touch with me when they order some more and this time I was rudely told this wasn't possible.

The girl who served me was extremely rude and spoke to me as if I was stupid, I stropped out of the shop and said "fine, don't take my money, I'll go elsewhere."

I've worked in the services industry and I know that it is poor customer service to treat your customers in this way.
The girl didn't want my money and acted as if I was an inconvenience.

I won't be buying my Christmas presents in Argos this year.

Comments

• Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    That is against Argos staff training. If an item is out of stock, they are supposed to check for future deliveries to their store, check stock in other stores and either ask for one to be transferred or reserve one there for you to collect, and they should have been able to order it on home delivery for you.

I would write a letter of complaint to the store manager, as that person clearly needs extra training.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Or head office :)
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And of course you can always check where stock is by looking online on their website from where you can also reserve the items for collection.
  • EMcG
    EMcG Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have recently had many problems with Argos and found that writing to the person listed below resolved the situation. Plus I received a £50 voucher by way of compensation:

Julia Seary
    Chief Executive's Office
    489-499 Avebury Boulevard
    Saxon Gate West
    Central Milton Keynes
    MK9 2NW

Tel: 01785 710248
    Fax: 01908 204192
    Email: Julia.seary@argos.co.uk
  • miacat
    miacat Posts: 3,966 Forumite
    Options
    jclay, the bad customer service must be catching. i was in argos the other day and an elderly man in front of me had brought something back cos it did'nt work, the woman serving tried to tell him it did and he could'nt be using it right, then she started talking to him as if he was deaf and tried to make him look stupid in front of everyone.anyway he gave her a right telling off, it was so embarrassing for her, and i thought good on ya.
  • Martigirl
    Options
    EMcG wrote:
    I have recently had many problems with Argos and found that writing to the person listed below resolved the situation. Plus I received a £50 voucher by way of compensation:

Julia Seary
    Chief Executive's Office
    489-499 Avebury Boulevard
    Saxon Gate West
    Central Milton Keynes
    MK9 2NW

Tel: 01785 710248
    Fax: 01908 204192
    Email: Julia.seary@argos.co.uk

Thank you for that I am currentlt having a nightmare with them and logged on here to see if anyone could give me this information
  • applecharlotte
    Options
    I recently witnessed a woman being ordered to leave argos, and when she refused as she was in the middle of a transaction the manageress stormed off to call the police. The woman left in a hurry then.

I overheard the whole thing and should have said something but was disturbed by their attitude and didn't want to end up on the wrong side of it.

The quick order machine thing took the womans card and she asked for help. When the "help" arrived in the shape of a teenage girl the customer told her what had happened. The girl said she must not have read the instructions right and forced the card in. The customer said firmly but fairly "no, i can read. I put my card in when it said and the right way." The girl said you must have done it wrong or not read what it said. The customer said please don't accuse me of not being able to read. I'm not stupid. At which point the girl stormed off and said i'm nobodies skivvy. I don't know what she said to the manageress but everybody was up in arms. The customer was firm but fair, while accused of being stupid. She was totally in the right, but still got hounded out of the store and humiliated. I did mean to complain to head office but never got round to it.

I should have.

Whatever happened to the customer is always right?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Please name the store.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Argos has annoyed a lot of people over the last few months (the TV fiasco) and has also become somewhere that I avoid.

With Christmas not that far away I find it one of the worst places for 'muppet' employees and 'muppet' customers.

This year, I will buy things while the shops are quiet!
  • Stonk
    Stonk Posts: 937 Forumite
    Options
    daveboy wrote:
    This year, I will buy things while the shops are quiet!

Yep - January. Cheaper too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family