We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help with theory test revision!!!!!!

Hey everyone,

I recently failed my theory test about 2-3 months ago after revising for 5 weeks. I used the revision cd and I don't think it didnt really help that much and I dont think there is any point of using the cd because I remember hearing that its not good to revise on the same thing more than once. Does anyone who has recently passed there theory have anything that would be helpful for me to use to make sure I pass this time. I wanna pass before this year ends.

Thanks
MarkAldridge
«1

Comments

  • sophie131
    sophie131 Posts: 853 Forumite
    What did you fail on, hazard perception or the questions, or both?
  • Staciep88
    Staciep88 Posts: 590 Forumite
    I think the DVD's are great. I used them, and my brother did. passed first time. I had the theory, hazard and even the practical on these disk, put them in your computer and click away. It helped me cuz in order for me to take in things I need to actually do it so this was great.
    xXx
  • B.E.N
    B.E.N Posts: 193 Forumite
    Hazard Perception Test:

    It will null any clip where it thinks that you have been clicking too much (e.g. potluck clicking).

    Each clip (if I remember correctly), only has 1 or 2 'hazards' in it, so if there has already been two major hazards in a clip, stop clicking!

    Sometimes, you can see a hazard developing before the computer is set to allow you a mark (it gives you marks if you click during specific frames of the video, if that makes sense?). Therefore, if you notice a hazard developing, click by all means, but click throughout the time that the hazard is present.

    Also important to note, is that it doesn't matter where the mouse pointer is. You don't have to click on the actual hazard, just anywhere on the screen at the time it develops. Therefore, don't waste time trying to move the mouse cursor to the hazard, like I did.


    Theory Test Questions:

    - If there's any one your unsure about, use the process of elimination - some of the a,b,c,d options are absurd, so use your common sense.

    - Prioritise what you revise - For me, I had to revise the braking distances, as I had no chance of using common sense in eliminating them, whereas for other questions, you could.

    - Don't rush it

    - Get a theory test book (if you haven't already). It'll have all of the questions in it, and get someone to quiz you on the more challanging ones.

    Good Luck!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • xxlaurissaxx
    xxlaurissaxx Posts: 2,253 Forumite
    I used the revision disk and passed first time. Passed it on to my friends and family and they all passed first time too. If you get the disc (about £10) frim comet or currys thats got a guarantee to pass or your money back, that's the one i used. You need to put the effort in tho. I did it for 1 hour each night, 2 weeks before my test.


    Oh read the highway code book too. Really put everything into place and it made me understand more of it too.

    xx
    0/2013
    :beer:
  • tinkerbel
    tinkerbel Posts: 1,795 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    for me I had a theory test book which I could write in (ie it had all teh multiple choice answers and i could tick the right one) and the answers in the back. I did every single one and just did bits in my spare moments, checking my answers every 50 questions or something, and eventually i got 100%.
    For the hazard perception, i just did the cds and when i was learning in the car i pointed out hazards like bikes when I saw them :)
  • lamb7994
    lamb7994 Posts: 535 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    try:
    www.2pass.co.uk

    They have loads of info.

    James
  • sophie131 wrote: »
    What did you fail on, hazard perception or the questions, or both?

    I failed on the hazard perception.
    MarkAldridge
  • Hey everyone,

    I have got the driving test success cd and as I stated when I first wrote this thread I think going over and over it wont really help me and I have also read the highway code.
    MarkAldridge
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi Bugatti_Boi, I've moved your thread to the Motoring Board :)

    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]!!!!!![/EMAIL].
  • drc
    drc Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Hey everyone,

    I have got the driving test success cd and as I stated when I first wrote this thread I think going over and over it wont really help me and I have also read the highway code.

    I've just passed my theory test and all the hazard perception clips are similar to those on the driving test success cd (which I also used to practice with).

    TBH I don't think you should buy anymore software as the offical CD isn't going to be much different to the driving test success one.

    What I would do is look at how you do on the practice clips and then try and analyse more, why you might not be seeing the hazards. The hazards are not always that clear and you have to think what the examiners want you to see and then click, so even if it is something that you think is obvious, like a car parked on a narrow road, this might be a hazard, as it means one side will have to stop and give way to the opposite flow of traffic. Just keep practising and try to get into the mind of the examiners so you can imagine when they expect you to interpret something as a hazard and react quickly. Also, click at every possible hazard even if it isn't one it will not do any harm (as long as you don't click continually throughout the clip).

    Good luck, I am sure you will pass next time, just keep practising!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.