Reclaim lost assets for free discussion

Options

Comments

• bennet50
    Options
    hi,i have paid off my mortgage.how do i find if ive paid too much.thanks
  • Shane_Beckett
    Options
    Did you know that there is a free website which helps you track down the current administrators of old insurance policies, pension policies, bank accounts and building society accounts. There's no charge to use the search facilities at policydetective.co.uk - I'm surprised that MSE don't recommend the site to their followers as it's all free to use.
  • paulb92
    Options
    my dad past away recently and he is belived to have an account in jersey channel islands.how do i go about finding it as i have no paperwork or clue as to what the bank is even called?
  • davelong
    Options
    My late father had some dollar travel cheques drawn on First City Bank (New York) which was part of City Corp. This has been taken over and now is called (I believe) citibank. They were sold through National and Grindlays bank and say valid indefinately. I have spoken tho Citi Bank and they have no idea what I could do with them except (it was hinted) forging my fathers signature and trying to pay them in. Does anyone know what channels there are for redeeming cheques drawn on old banks??
  • ajm01
    ajm01 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I had an account I believe was owned by the post Office, under the name of National Girobank.

I have been trying to use the website (accessed via this site) nto enable you to track down lost accounts, unfortunately, the site is no finding any trace of a bank using that name.

Does anyone know what became of National Girobank?

I believe that they became the Alliance & Leicester but that is not doing anything on the website either.

Any ideas? thanks.
  • EricDeeson
    EricDeeson Posts: 51 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Finishrich wrote: »
    Great article, I hope some people manage to find some forgotten fortunes. ;D

I'd like to hope so too - but in my opinion a lost account is one you don't know the whereabouts of. I've just spent fifteen minutes on the banks/BSocs/NS&I site looking for whatever may be lost by my father - but that site expects me to know in which banks/ building societies/forms of national savings my father may have left cash in.
    In fact, he died in 1964 when I was young. So I don't have, and never can have, any knowledge of what "lost" accounts he may have had in life or at death. Moreover, my father was a bigamist and may have changed his name and was very secretive anyway; my mother was very naive when widowed and I know of no friends of theirs who may have been able to advise. She's long dead too anyway.
    I understand the Government is planning to "borrow" the contents of these millions of "lost" accounts. Surely they should demand the basic details of all such accounts - holder's name and ace of residence at least and let us search the list open-endedly.
    I know my father's name and am fortunate in that he was, and remains, the only person in the country with that name - so a very simple search of the list of "lost" accounts I mention above would show if indeed there is anything.
    This is not the first time I've had to give up a fight for "lost" funds. My mother was a refugee from the Nazis and managed to leave Austria in February 1939, almost certainly with some family cash to deposit on arrival in Switzerland - but I have never been able to search for any such "lost" accounts despite the Swiss banks' claimed willingness to allow such searches!

Very frustrating! - Eric
  • Hrhodes
    Options
    I bought a ' cash back warranty' from Comet many years ago but lost the policy documents. I have recently located the documents and rang them today to try and re claim my £174.99 as I never made a claim on the policy. They have said no as all claims must be made within 30 days of the expiry date ( which was 02/01/2006). Is there any way I can get my money back.
  • white_dog
    Options
    Before my Dad died in 1998 he showed me a document he had received from an organisation that had the word Liverpool in the title. It stated he had been left something in a will. He thought it was property of some kind and he said he wanted me to have it. I didnt do anything at the time and after he died I couldnt find the document. It has been on my mind all these years but I have no idea how to go about tracing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas anyone?
  • tommy55_2
    Options
    Hi Folks
    First post, so hope I get it right.
    My mum, who died some 10 years ago, was given a share certificate in the '50s when she worked for the original Wallis outfitters - it's not a massive amount, £1 to be precise.
    Now this is still a high street name, and I'm curious, more than anything, about whether these shares are still valid and if they're worth anything.
    I have posession of the share certificate and probate on the estate.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • sh110
    Options
    hi there could anyone help with this
    i lost my father in a house fire almost 20 years ago and due to the damage and my age at the time it was confusing
    i have recieved a letter dating 2011 from a policy my dad had about a death benefit and have spoke to them about it and they are sending claim forms the problem i now have is did we miss any more i spoke to his solicitor again and found out it was hard to find everything he was paying because at that time there was no direct debit etc that would help trace the companies he would be dealing with is there somewhere i could write to with a copy of hie certificate that could tell me the various companies he used almost like a dsar
    any help much appreciated
    thanks in advance
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport