The 'I want it NOW!!' debt/savings thread

Options

Comments

• RoxieW
    RoxieW Posts: 3,016 Forumite
    Options
    A bigger house to accomodate my growing family - I WANT IT NOW! But I'll have to wait until bump is at school - only 5 years to go then!! And I'm working. Still, gives us chance to save up a big deposit - £11K so far - aimimg for 50K in 5 years time.

Others ;
    A holiday for my aunt who has breast cancer
    A mulberry handbag
    A tidy garden

In fact, maybe you lovely people can help me with the above dilemma - I recently had my birthday and hubby said he would take me shopping with night in hotel and buy expensive handbag as above. I have nothing else designer and have hankered after this particular bag for, oh, about 5 years now - and without any pestering from me he decided that he wants to treat me. However, I could forfiet the handbag and put the money towards want number one, a holiday for my aunt who has breast cancer. They haven't had a holiday for years and I'd love to suprise her with something to look forward to when she finishs her treatment.
    I know what I should do - but the selfish me thinks no, why not have something I want. Also, I cant help thinking that if they didnt waste money on crap like games consoles they'd be able to afford a holiday - mean I know but its the tiny thing stopping me. Am I horrible? What to do, what to doooooo?????????
    MANAGED TO CLEAR A 3K OVERDRAFT IN ONE FRUGAL, SUPER CHARGED MONEY EARNING MONTH!:j
    £10 a day challenge Aug £408.50, Sept £90
    Weekly.
    155/200
    "It's not always rainbows and butterflies, It's compromise that moves us along."
  • jenjade
    jenjade Posts: 8,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i would have the bag if they were that desperate they would cut the amount they spend on games etc and get there own break sorry that might sound harsh.
    :j Proud mum to Jade age 10 years and Baby Ellie born Christmas Day:eek: with a broke heart :( Proven to be a little fighter and battling on with her heart condition :j
  • moneymabel
    moneymabel Posts: 7,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi roxie , IMO you should have the hotel/handbag. It's your birthday present girl! You've done great saving so far, perhaps take your aunt for a day out instead of a hol? Perhaps a free makeover at a cosmetics counter, nice lunch somewhere?
    I understand the guilt thing but it's not just a random gift from your OH it's your birthday gift.
  • RoxieW
    RoxieW Posts: 3,016 Forumite
    Options
    thanks girls - jenjade, doesnt sound harsh, its what I cant help thinking myself! They spend so much money they dont have on toys/games for the kids - to the excess I think, especially at xmas time when it all comes from catalogue/credit etc. But on the other hand, she's a lovely person and we are quite close - I'm closer to her than my mum, which isnt saying much as i dont see her at all, but still i like my aunt and she hasnt had an easy time. I'd love to treat her.
    moneymabel - yep, I had been toying with the idea of perhaps taking her to a spa, depending on cost, for her birthday in november.
    Thanks for making me feel like less of a selfish moo!
    MANAGED TO CLEAR A 3K OVERDRAFT IN ONE FRUGAL, SUPER CHARGED MONEY EARNING MONTH!:j
    £10 a day challenge Aug £408.50, Sept £90
    Weekly.
    155/200
    "It's not always rainbows and butterflies, It's compromise that moves us along."
  • lilmissmup
    lilmissmup Posts: 6,884 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Jen,

I join that challenge every month and fail lol, i am useless at keeping a log of the money so just give up done all the free bingo i can, nothing to eBay left, do daily clicks and surveys, should list some books on Amazon but need to get my butt in gear for that.

Just entered loads of comps ending tomorrow, done it for the last 3 days now. Hoping to win something!
    Now a SAHM trying to earn some spare pennies each month
  • jenjade
    Options
    they don't always contact you if you win the cd i won just arrived. it is strange coz the postman was my worse enemy bringing bill all the time but since i started comping i love seeing the postie come up the path! actually i decided he is very good looking!! lol
    i might have a go at redoing my signature to involve my long term saving plan?
    :j Proud mum to Jade age 10 years and Baby Ellie born Christmas Day:eek: with a broke heart :( Proven to be a little fighter and battling on with her heart condition :j
  • lilmissmup
    Options
    Hi Jen.

I like having a goal in my signature, motivates me, its nice having my debt there too to see it go down.

Hi Hayley yes theres a kind person who lists all the comps ending that day on one thread so you can enter them all, todays is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1086187
  • lilmissmup
    Options
    I use a program called Roboform, its free to use to fill in your details but only allows you to store a certain amount of log ins free so i paid for it (about £15), i couldn't live without it though now.

http://www.roboform.com/
  • moneymabel
    moneymabel Posts: 7,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi all- looking forward to seeing your new sig Jen :-)
  • jenjade
    Options
    i have done it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure