Food to take abroad for self catering

Options
My last sc holiday was pre-MSE and we just bought whilst there.

I want the holiday I've just booked to be as tight on budget as possible (now I have MSE flowing through my veins ;) ) and was thinking of putting a few things in my suitcase to take out there. It's to Spain if that poses any restrictions of what to take in.

So far, i've thought of

coffee (decant into a plastic tub to save on weight of glass jar!)
sachets of hot chocolate
a packet of cereal

any ideas please to throw in the pot?
:D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j

Comments

• Belnahua
    Belnahua Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Why, food's so cheap out there? Much cheaper than here anyway!
    A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just to take a few storecupboard things I already have really - every penny counts!

• boombap
    boombap Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    I always find that the instant coffee on the continent tastes different compared to the stuff we get here. Personally I like it but a lot of people don't so I'd take some of that with you. Same goes for tea bags.

I always take salt and pepper too.

Although I agree that food is cheaper abroad it's not money saving if you end up having to chuck it away if you don't like the taste so if there's a few foodstuffs which you're quite particular about then take it from the UK. I for one can't stand any type of baked beans other than Heinz!
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OH will only drink Nescafe which seems more expensive, which is what got me thinking in the first place.

Good idea re: salt and pepper :)

• tors56
    Options
    We take can's of tuna to make nice sandwiches, jars of paste, cup-a-soups and Pot Noodles (currently on offer in Lidl for 49p!)

The food will only take the places of the going out outfits i no longer need to take cos we can't afford to go out once there!
  • fruity1_2
    Options
    Small 100ml bottle of washing up liquid, dish cloth, tea towels, a few washing powder tablets ;) Not food but very handy.
  • tightrs
    tightrs Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we took in august: muesli,cans of tuna, blocks of cheese,minature jams,shortbread biscuits and tea and coffee
  • merlinormartin
    Options
    Hows about ... noodles, smash mash, cup a soup, sandwich spread, marmite, Heinz beans, mini cereal and pot noodles

Enjoy your holiday!
    "Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone, and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering"
  • dizzybee
    dizzybee Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    has anyone taken food with them to Florida i was wondering if it was ok to take cereal,and teabags also a few offer bits has some of the food at the shops wasn't very nice last time.

SPC no:076
  • Always_Harassed
    Options
    I usually take a couple of packets of savoury rice as it can be used to make a meal with meat or cold with a salad. doesn't take up much room.

Dizzybee
    I have taken teabags to florida but that was before all the restrictions. Would be very careful what you take as they have sniffer dogs looking for meat imports.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure