Pets MoneySaving

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
54 replies 2.8K views
gemmajgemmaj Forumite
431 posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Pets & Pet Care
I almost called this post "Saving Money Doggie Style" till I realised it may be misinterpreted :rotfl:

I am sure this has been covered before but my searches turned up nothing, unless anyone wants to produce a link?

Those following the June Grocery Challenge will have seen that in the last 15days I have spent more on my dogs food & vet bills than I have on my boyf and my food (shopping and eating out). :eek:

So I thought I'd see what money saving tips we could come up (other than greyhound-spare ribs for dinner).

I'll start with;

Pet Insurance for troublesome pets, and remember to shop around (I'm with AFI; have had to make 1 claim and am fairly happy with how it all went)

HOMEMADE....
I have lots of recipes for dog biscuits and even dog cakes but they all include ingredients that I cannot easily (or cheaply) get hold of; mostly cornmeal which I can only get for several quid for a little bag from the local health food shop. Any straight forward recipes?

I would also love a recipe for turning meat into some kind of tinned dog food type stuff which I could then freeze (I use it to stuff his Kong!). I am vegetarian and have never cooked meat before so please be specific!!

Frosty Paws
On another forum (american) they were talking about Dog frozen lollies "Frosty Paws" that sell for $2+ for 4 (!!!). Heres some recipes they suggested instead;

32oz Plain Yogurt, 1/2 can Tuna/salmon/canned meat, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Freeze in cups!

OR yogurt, 2 bananas (mashed), and a couple of spoonfuls of peanut butter
OR peanut butter, honey and banana

You could also freeze a portion inside a Kong, if you use one!

Now its your turn!

Replies

• mightymo_2mightymo_2 Forumite
    110 posts
    We have recently got a puppy. When we take her for training we use liver cake:

1lb liver (lambs)
    2 eggs
    1 whole garlic bulb
    12oz SR flour
    1/2 pt water
    (6 cans of very strong air freshener [img]http://smileys.!!!!!!/cat/23/23_30_111.gif[/img])

1. Pulverise raw liver, eggs & garlic in blender
    2. Add flour and mix
    3. Add Water and mix
    4. Pour into cake tin
    5. Cook on Gas 5 for 1/2 hour

When cool cut into square - can be frozen.

Then spray like mad with the air freshener - it's a stinky one!
  • Lillibet_2Lillibet_2 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really find proper dried food the best for my dog (springer spaniel), better for his health, his coat, his energy, his wind:eek: Good quality does actually work out cheaper (espeically if you can buy it in bulk but even if not it is still good value) beacuse you don't have to give very much of it, don't worry about underfeeding because his stomach will soon adjust to the smaller portions & he gets the correct measuer of all the balanced vitamins etc he needs. Also his vets bills are lower because his long term health is better, although I would never have a dog without insurance anyway. If you feed homemade food you should add a vitamin supplement.

For a treat, usually about once a week, I give him fresh meat too, usually liver which my vet recommends as being full of minerals & Bertie loves plus is very cheap, I just boil it & allow to cool & chop finely then mix with his dried food. Oh, and he always gets leftover gravy and occasionally leftover veg & potatos added to his bowl, although he doesn't need these I like to spoil him:rolleyes: 'cos thats what pets are for;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you are a rabbit owner. Don't buy the small bag of hay for bedding for your rabbit.

Go to a horsey shop or somewhere that sells farming supplies. You can buy a product called readigrass by spillers. It is a 15KG bag of hay/grass. It costs about £9 but lasts for ages. Is aimed at the horse market. I have two rabbits and we are more than generous as we use it for bedding and for them to eat. A small 1kg bag of this from a pet shop will cost you about £1.99. See the difference.

You do need somewhere to store it but it comes in a plastic bag so is very easy to store.

Also we buy rabbit pellets rather then the museli that stops them from being picky eaters and wasting food. A 10kg bag will set you back about £8 a bag but again will last ages. So if you have freinds that have pet rabbits then buy it then split between you. Much cheaper.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • WeirdoMagnetWeirdoMagnet Forumite
    1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    :rotfl: Money Saving Doggie Style :rotfl: Excellent!

I get dog toys from the Pound Shop - exactly the same as those in the pet shops, but only £1!

Tilly loves to 'kill' soft toys, so I get them from charity shops. The last one I got was a brand new gorilla, for only £1!

I get my chews from the sunday market - again, exactly the same as the pet shops for a fraction of the price. They also do collar, leads etc, all cheaper than pet shops.

I search the net for the best price and buy my wormers online.

Insured with M&S - they have an excellent reputation on another forum I'm on.

I agree with Lillibet on the food issue - I feed Burns which is pricey, but I feel happier knowing that it is good food, and not rubbish like Bakers (junk food for dogs!). She also has a bit of gravy and left overs on the biscuits.

Poo Bags - use the value nappy sacks from Tesco.

Bedding - I got some light blue fleece blankets from IKEA - I think they were £2.90, much cheaper than "dog blankets". Speaking of IKEA, I also got a basket a while back for about £3.50, and the other day got two lime green bowls for 20p each.

HTH :)
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • Bendybops19Bendybops19 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    I there, i should be moving into a maisonette shortly, and want to get a little dog once my bf and i are settled in. To be honest, i hadnt even thought about having insurance :rolleyes: But then, i want to get a puppy so with all the jabs i guess it is well worth it.
    Roughly, how much is it monthly? I dont have much money left over at the end of each month, can afford all the dog food etc, but not sure i can afford insurance :(
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
  • Lillibet_2Lillibet_2 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I there, i should be moving into a maisonette shortly, and want to get a little dog once my bf and i are settled in. To be honest, i hadnt even thought about having insurance :rolleyes: But then, i want to get a puppy so with all the jabs i guess it is well worth it.
    Roughly, how much is it monthly? I dont have much money left over at the end of each month, can afford all the dog food etc, but not sure i can afford insurance :(

Insurance won't pay for the immunisations for a puppy, or the yearly renewals, but these jabs will be a condition of the insurance. The cost of immunisations will depend on the size of the dog, as will nutering. The insurance will cover illness (exculding all the things your dog must be immunised against), injury, a host of other things (like offering a reward if it goes astray/holiday cancellation due to pet illness etc etc) and most importantly it will give you liability cover, for example you will be covered if your dog bites someone or causes a road accident, which as a dog owner YOU are legally responsible for & could potentially cost hundreds of thousands of pounds:eek:

I pay just under £18 per month for a 9 year old Springer Spaniel with Tesco, I think Pet Plan are the probably the most recommended by vets but they tend to be a touch more pricy. Pedigrees are more expensive to insure than mongrals & bigger dogs are more expensive than smaller ones!

Some insurance policies insist you have your dog microchipped too, this is a one off cost & I think cost me £20 7 years ago, it's a small price to pay for some peice of mind if he ever gets lost/stolen.

I don't want to sound offensive, but if you can't afford the cost of insurance then how could you afford the cost of treatment if your pet was ill or injured? That is a really horrible situation to be in, please consider it very very carefully. Please please don't be offended:o

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • BadgergalBadgergal Forumite
    531 posts
    Regarding bedding for small animals (I have four pet rats) if you are near a horsey place you can get a massive bag/bale of either shredded cardboard bedding or paper based litter (similar to cat litter) for about £6 which lasts forever, these are also much healthier for them than the wood shavings that pet shops sell in much smaller and more expensive bags...
  • beachbethbeachbeth Forumite
    3.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭

You could do what I do. I have three Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and the insurance for them would cost quite a lot. So, instead, I have an account which I pay into weekly and its my Pet Account. It soon builds up and it is a pot of money, earning interest and waiting should I need it. It has paid for one of them to be spayed, a recent expensive treatment for diarrhoea and, of course, is there for all vaccinations too. Its so nice to be at the vets and not worry about the cost.

The only drawback to this is that if they needed treatment costing thousands then this account wouldn't cover it. But in that case we would have to use money from our own savings or give up going on holiday that year.:(
  • gemmajgemmaj Forumite
    431 posts
    ✭✭
    Max (my greyhound) had insurance for 3 years - cost me about £400 and I never needed it. I was thinking about cancelling it. Then he decided to escape through a hedge, and cut his legs. Since the vet was just closing he had to go under anesthetic and have stitches all at overtime rates - claimed off the insurance... £400!! Only paid the £50 excess and £1.61 which the insurance wouldn't cover (?!?!?!?) (thats picky!!). I'm currently with AFI (Animal Friends Insurance - all profits go to charity!) and it costs me £9.60 per month.

(Based on that Beachbeths idea has merit - I could have earned interest! Except of course I am still covered for if Max does anything MORE stupid!!!)

Generally, if you are insuring a young dog your probably best getting an insurance plan that covers for life - if they get a specific illness all the treatment is covered for the life of the dog, not for a year like many others. If its an older dog it can be worth saving the extra money and just getting the year cover. It can be hard to insure a dog after 8 years old so find a good insurance company before then, because after your stuck with them!

Mightymo - I am just changing Max to James Wellbeloved (he was on Pedigree before but I don't like the ingredients, even if Max does!!!). Which flavour do you feed? I tried the fish but it makes his breath stink of, well, fish!! Am torn between lamb and turkey! Tried a taste test but he just started at the food nearest, ate the lot and moved to the next pile. Don't think he got the idea!! :rotfl:
  • beachbethbeachbeth Forumite
    3.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine have James Wellbeloved too and have always given them the lamb flavour. I sprinkle on a tiny amount of oxo cube and add warm water to moisten it a bit and they love it! The vet said that high quality dried food such as this is good for their teeth too.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support