Best place to change £ to Turkish Lira?

Options
124»

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Yes have used a pre loaded cash card , no problems using it in one of the 'exchange ' shops .

BUT , I must have a honest face , after the third time I had accepted my cash , realised that I was always using my wifes card . So checks ( in the shop ) are are a touch casual.

So get some currency ( which sort is another argument ?? ) and take a card .

Back up is a debit/credit card ............... result a stress free time.

PS Shock horror , I have even changed some money at the hotel reception. rather than venture on a bus/taxi ride in July , temp in the mid 30's and wasting valuable time I could be by the pool with a cold drink.
    Too many people just see the exchange rate and dont factor in the extra's
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think anyone does a turkish lira cash passport yet, so it would have to be a sterling one or euro, not sure which one works out the best in turkey, but the turkish lira is at great rates at the moment at 2.63 to the £, im sure this time last year it was only about 2.20

Wallbash, as for using your wife's card, how many times in this country when you use chip n pin does anyone check your card, i've never had mine checked when in the supermarket, petrol station etc.
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    I've been holidaying in Turkey for nearly 20 years now and always take sterling and change it there, usually in a Turkish Bank if in banking hours, otherwise at an exchange in a large town.

Shops and hotels will always give a poorer rate - although, to be honest, it's only a percent or so. £1 in a £100 hardly breaks the bank when you are on holiday.

I never use debit or credit cards abroad.

At all the airports there are exchange booths, usually in the baggage retrieval hall, where you can pick up your first batch of lira while waiting for your cases. (I expect they're a percentage point over the big town exchanges as well) but you can just change enough to last you until you get somewhere better. The're even open all night to cater for night flights.

I fully endorse the comments about the prices in the airports - a thorough rip-off - most hotels know this and will sell you a food pack to take to the airport at a much more respectable price.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We're off to Ichmelar on Monday pound is climbing- Does anyone know what the current exchange rate people are getting in Turkey?
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure