Options

Comments

• feelingblue
    feelingblue Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Oooh - yes - thanks Steph!! Doh!!
  • Kedi_Yavrusu
    Options
    You will always get a much better exchange rate in resort than in the UK. The best place to exchange is the post office but most of the exchange offices will offer pretty much the same rates.

The old currency has been out of circulation for a few years now so you are unlikely to get any now.
  • **dawn**
    Options
    I am going to Ichmeler, Turkey in the next few weeks. As it is a smaller resort am wondering if it has a post office and has anyone experienced any difficulties changing money. Thanks in anticipation.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder how much more you get changing ........... £100 in Turkey than here in England?
    AND is the 'vast' difference worth the stress?
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2011 at 7:28AM
    Options
    **dawn** wrote: »
    I am going to Ichmeler, Turkey in the next few weeks. As it is a smaller resort am wondering if it has a post office and has anyone experienced any difficulties changing money. Thanks in anticipation.

There are exchange offices all over Icmeler. You will get a better rate over there.
    travelover
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    And you have to factor in the time and effort and maybe expense of getting to an Exchange/PO.

My time on hols is for enjoyment , not visiting a 'bank'.

PS yes I change my money in the UK ............. no stress.
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    on the coach home we were encouraged to buy water from the driver as it would be £3 a bottle inside. it was a bit pointless as they take it off you anyway and as is wont as soon as we walked through the doors we were hungry and thirsty. we went to the food court thinking there was bound to be something be could afford. it was huge with every outlet you could think of side by side with a huge row of seats facing the food. there was alot of arguing and kids crying which we thought was odd we went to the first outlet £5 for a roll and £6 for a coke. i couldnt believe it so went along the rest and the staff were stood with huge calculators and remarkabley stood withnothing to do, no queues we stood behind a man at macdonalds arguing with his wide as he waved the calculator saying he was not paying £35 for 2 adult and 2 kids happy meals. around us were kids in buggys and in arms crying not undertanding why they were coming away empty handed and then add insult to injury by having to sit at only seats available opposite food you couldnt afford. we checked out all the retailers and the story was the same. eventually we gave in and had to use a credit card to buy a 2 piece meal with small coke at kfc for £21 which we had to share. so my afvice is fill up on food and drink as much as you can before you get there and just pray there are no flight delays
  • SteveJW
    SteveJW Posts: 712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stress changing money in Turkey
    I must be doing it wrong.
    Everywhere I go they want my money. Go to the jewellers, the wife has a browse, we get a drink and then change some money at a better rate than the bank, don't buy anything
    Go to a bar, better rate than going to the bank, same at the restauraunts
    At the bureau change, always get a better rate than the advertised one, just ask, they can refuse, walk away
    Changing money in Turkey is part of the experience, if they are having a meal more often than not you get asked to try it, free turkish coffee.

By just crossing the road you can usually get at least 2% more, what interest rate are banks currently paying in the UK
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wallbash wrote: »
    I wonder how much more you get changing ........... £100 in Turkey than here in England?
    AND is the 'vast' difference worth the stress?

You have to laugh or you'd cry when you get people coming in the shop asking whats your rate on euros so you tell them, ooh thats .001 better than the last place thanks, i'll just pop half a mile across town to check they're not better, oh ok why how much do you want ooh i'm taking £50 and i want to make sure i don't get ripped off. For gods sake is it worth wasting the time and effort for what amounts to pence lol.
    But whats worse is when some customer gives you a right telling off because their own bank has charged them for buying currency with their debit card because they haven't bothered to read the terms and conditions on their bank card.
  • gpbrown83
    Options
    I have to say I agree with the getting it sorted before you go approach. The difference in rate is not going to save you an amount worth the hassle unless you're going to change a decent amount...

However - I am going to Turkey shortly, and wondered if anyone had used one of the cash passports / pre loaded currency cards out there? Whilst I do want to change my currency prior to going, I'm not a huge fan of taking all cash, and I'd rather use a cash card than travellers cheques.

Cheers,

Gordon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family