Credit Rating: How it works and How to improve it discussion area

Options

Comments

• ChrisIan
    Options
    Have NO credit report nor credit score. Have been with same bank for 50+ years, pay my credit card in full each month, have paid off my mortgage and have no loans. My wife has dealt with all household issues through her accounts and has a credit scre of 999. Because of her health reasons, we need to transfer financial matters to me. Which activities do I need to start getting a score?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nothing. There are no scores.

Start by finding your credit files via the three CRAs

If they cannot find you, raise a query.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ChrisIan wrote: »
    Have NO credit report nor credit score. Have been with same bank for 50+ years, pay my credit card in full each month, have paid off my mortgage and have no loans. My wife has dealt with all household issues through her accounts and has a credit scre of 999. Because of her health reasons, we need to transfer financial matters to me. Which activities do I need to start getting a score?
    Why do you want a score?

Your credit history is important if you are looking to borrow money or open a credit account such as for a mobile phone. Do either of these apply to you?
  • RG2015
    edited 13 April 2019 at 11:46AM
    Options
    For information CRA stands for credit reporting agencies. There are three in the UK; Experian, Equifax and Transunion (formerly Callcredit)

Banks and other lenders report your financial data to one or more of these CRAs. They offer paid subscription services to enable you to see your credit report but you can also access these free of charge.

One way is through the following internet sites.

MSE credit club for Experian.
    Clearscore for Equifax
    Noddle for Transunion

Another way is through the CRAs directly by requesting your statutory credit report from each of them. This also is free of charge.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    -37 points since recent car finance, clearscore and noodle both algorithms have spotted my move from what was 2years car finance to 5 years.
    I continue to aim for ultimate dmp end time during 2022 or possibly 2021.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don’t worry.

I can donate you 37 of my points if you like?

Or I can have my unicorn poop some out for you.

I don’t need them.
  • midsx58
    Options
    I have found various options for 0% credit cards for transfers using the eligibility calc on Martins website. If i apply for the best one with a 95% chance of acceptance but they change the 0% or its period , can I decline without it appearing on my credit report ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. The search will appear.

But it's not a big deal.
  • RG2015
    edited 25 April 2019 at 1:59PM
    Options
    midsx58 wrote: »
    I have found various options for 0% credit cards for transfers using the eligibility calc on Martins website. If i apply for the best one with a 95% chance of acceptance but they change the 0% or its period , can I decline without it appearing on my credit report ?

I did exactly this a few weeks back with Halifax and was offered a BT card with a BT fee instead of a zero fee BT card. But to get to this point they had already carried out a search on my credit file.

That said I do not see this as a problem as it is only one search. If there were multiple searches it may become an issue.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    I did exactly this a few weeks back with Halifax and was offered a BT card with a BT fee instead of a zero fee BT card. But to get to this point they had already carried out a search on my credit file.

That said I do not see this as a problem as it is only one search. If there were multiple searches it may become an issue.

Next time go into a branch and ask them what pre-approved credit cards they can offer you instead of wasting a hard search. They'll be able to tell you what your limit will be, APR and any 0% deals/length.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback