Can you help me with a list of essentials?

Options
I am trying to work out my budget for when I start my mortgage. I have chosen a mortgage where you can over pay. Here is what I have got upto now:

Council Tax £ 62.22
Mortgage £ 479.73
Insurance £ 42.79
Life Insurance £ 5.00
Utilities £ 120.00
Food / Groceries £ 150.00
TV Licence / Phone £ 46.00
Car Running Costs £ 140.00
Total £ 1,045.74
Take home per month £ 1,547.59

What have I not included? I know I have not put in going out etc... but just the must haves. This way I can start to think about over payments more accurately

Comments

• epsilondraconis
    Options
    If you take a look at:

http://www.makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html

You'll see a long list of potential outgoings - you may find it useful.

Good luck with everything.
  • sazzy6
    sazzy6 Posts: 342 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that link-very helpful. I think the only other important one I have missed is medical (teeth and eyes)

The others ones that affect me are all luxery items-that I could, although I probably won't, live without.

:beer: cheers!
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Have you included your water bill in with your utilities? :confused:

Internet?
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • sazzy6
    Options
    Yes to water bills and the internet. :confused: Does this not seem enough? First house so not sure with prices.
  • firesidemaid
    firesidemaid Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    insurance seems a little high - in the future you can probably get that down to even half that by searching around plus get cashback too from quidco etc.(my b+c this year for a 3 bed detached house was £155).

tv lic/phone again could be a bit lower - who will you be with?
  • sazzy6
    Options
    Well I haven't signed up to the insurance yet. It was for contents and buildings insurance with accidental cover. I will look for a better quote now though!

My mobile is £35 per month with O2. I will still have 4 months to go when everything goes through (fingers crossed) and after that I am planning on changing to Virgin for my landline and internet. I will then just have a pay as you go mobile.
  • firesidemaid
    firesidemaid Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    i have accidental cover for buildings, i don't bother with it for contents.

have a look at the insurance tab on the top of the site homepage - there is a sort of tutorial/plan for getting the best deals. i usually go with the cheapest and try and get up to £100 cashback through quidco.

this year the deal i got was so good i didn't worry about the cashback - i even phoned them to check everything was ok (as it seemed so cheap) and when i went over all my details again i got a slightly better quote!

good luck x
  • galadriel
    galadriel Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have virgin phone and internet. As a virgin customer you can take advantage of their £10 sim card only mobile offer. 300 minutes to any network and 300 texts per month for a tenner, plus you are not tied into a contract so if you try it and find it's not the right package for you, you can cancel.
  • sazzy6
    Options
    galadriel wrote: »
    Hi, I have virgin phone and internet. As a virgin customer you can take advantage of their £10 sim card only mobile offer. 300 minutes to any network and 300 texts per month for a tenner, plus you are not tied into a contract so if you try it and find it's not the right package for you, you can cancel.

Thanks for this-I'm not too sure how Virgin work with their mobile service linked to other services, I will have to check it out.
  • DaLaw78
    Options
    You can do Internet Phone and Mobile and Cable TV for £40 a month with Virgin I think
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure