TalkTalk - any inside news on offers for next month?

in Phones & TV
16 replies 830 views
jem16jem16 Forumite
19.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭✭
My free Option 2 with BT is coming to an end on the 14th Nov. My billing date is the 9th Nov so I'd prefer to make a decision before that if possible.

At the moment I'm heading towards Planet Talk for free evening and weekend calls but wondered if there was any startling offer about to be announced by TalkTalk?

I don't want line rental though. Everything on their website at the moment seems to mention line rental being included in their offers. I assume you can't get the offer without line rental?

Replies

• bbb_ukbbb_uk Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    As you say most of TalkTalk's special offers are only when taking with line rental but until it gets closer to christmas - like the end of november we won't know.

As it takes 14 days to swap over it may be worth starting the process now. There is no minimum term on CPS providers (unless you take any associated line rental) so should TalkTalk, OneTel do an offer you can then just move to them obviously allow the 14 days turnaround time.

If during the 14 days (ie before the actual date of swap over), you notice TalkTalk, etc doing an offer that is suitable for you then all you do is ask BT to cancel the transfer of CPS providers.

I'm hoping Tele2 extend their offer of free evening & weekend to beyond the end of the year - which they are likely to do if the other big players like OneTel and TalkTalk do their evening & weekend calls again.
  • Dont be surprised if TT offer a cheaper deal call package deal if you take Line Rental ,and a dearer one if you dont. ;)

Dont forget the Planet Talk Free Evening and Weekend Call offer is still available,as Jem 16 indicates.
    http://www.planet-talk.co.uk/saverproducts.aspx?source=saver You can now sign up for this over the phone by a 0800 number.
    PF.
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO I think all the new offers from TalkTalk will be based on you taking their line rental.

When I chatted to the guy from "retentions" he was certainly pushing line rental which I refused to take due to the number of faults we have on our old cabling and telegraph poles icon9.gif
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bbb_uk wrote:
    I'm hoping Tele2 extend their offer of free evening & weekend to beyond the end of the year - which they are likely to do if the other big players like OneTel and TalkTalk do their evening & weekend calls again.

Are you with Tele2 at the moment?
  • I suspect they will offer their Call Packages at the original rates EG.Talk 3 £9.99p and discount the call package with line rental by say a couple of quid EG Talk 3 £7.99 ,with perhaps a free month or two thrown in.They are very keen to lock customers into them with line rental.( Moneysavers know this is not a good idea ,for many reasons.)
    PF.
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO I think all the new offers from TalkTalk will be based on you taking their line rental.

When I chatted to the guy from "retentions" he was certainly pushing line rental which I refused to take due to the number of faults we have on our old cabling and telegraph poles icon9.gif

Thanks Edinburghlass.

I'd prefer to stay with BT for line rental as it gives me the widest option of using other providers. It also makes it easier for faults to the line as you say.
  • bbb_ukbbb_uk Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    jem16 wrote:
    Are you with Tele2 at the moment?
    No - with OneTel on their free evening & weekend plan. Signed up during the offer they ran until April this year. I will probably be using Tele2 or another suitable provider from April next year when their offer ends. TalkTalk, for us anyhow, are out of the question as I'm not keen on their 70min call limit before the call becomes chargable. That's only 10mins more than BT's call limit. Providers like OneTel, Tele2, in most cases, do an unlimited call length limit.

I may consider JDS (if they are still going come April next year and start to respond to emails people have been sending them) or Planet Talk if Tele2 or OneTel don't have a suitable offer on.
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.

Now I see why you were thinking of Tele2 for its unlimited call length - didn't realise that until I looked at their website. I'm never usually on the phone for anywhere near an hour though so that shouldn't be a problem.

However as bbb_uk says I can always change anyway.

I think I'll go for Planet Talk just now.

Just not sure whether I should move on to Option 1 on the 14th when my free Option 2 expires or move on to Option 1 before they do my bill on the 9th. I know they should refund the extra charge next bill but BT always seem to get something wrong in their favour. Any advice?

Can I request a monthly bill with Option 1 or do I have to have a quarterly bill?
  • jem16 wrote:
    My free Option 2 with BT is coming to an end on the 14th Nov. My billing date is the 9th Nov so I'd prefer to make a decision before that if possible.

At the moment I'm heading towards Planet Talk for free evening and weekend calls but wondered if there was any startling offer about to be announced by TalkTalk?

I don't want line rental though. Everything on their website at the moment seems to mention line rental being included in their offers. I assume you can't get the offer without line rental?
    you could always give TT a call now and see what you can get .If they dont offer you anything give it a few days and call again .Tell them you are looking at JDS or whoever .
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you could always give TT a call now and see what you can get .If they dont offer you anything give it a few days and call again .Tell them you are looking at JDS or whoever .

I tried that 3 months ago and asked them if they could match Tele2's free evening & weekend calls. They said that they couldn't.

However have to say their push towards line rental is putting me off anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides