Poundland Bargain Thread -

Options

Comments

• qwert10
    qwert10 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 January 2022 at 3:51PM
    Options
    Pep and co have a sale quite cheap including for a quid were £5 mock cheese cheese plants look good.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm going to have a moan about Poundland. 

£1 is very far from the default. Its been creeping up over the last 4 years but I'd say that less than 50% of its items are actually £1. The other day I looked at make-up - I can usually treat myself to a repackaged low-range brand of lipstick / mascara for £1 - and noticed some foundation. Not my shade, but previously that too would have been £1 (last noticed 3 weeks ago). Now its labelled £5! Which cannot be that far from its RRP on a branded stand. My usual impulse buys seem to have nudged up from £1 to £1.25 or £1.50. I can understand the incremental changes are down to enhanced costs in the chain, but not the big leaps.

The other thing I noticed is that the store was no longer busy.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

£1 is very far from the default. Its been creeping up over the last 4 years but I'd say that less than 50% of its items are actually £1. The other day I looked at make-up - I can usually treat myself to a repackaged low-range brand of lipstick / mascara for £1 - and noticed some foundation. Not my shade, but previously that too would have been £1 (last noticed 3 weeks ago). Now its labelled £5! Which cannot be that far from its RRP on a branded stand. My usual impulse buys seem to have nudged up from £1 to £1.25 or £1.50. I can understand the incremental changes are down to enhanced costs in the chain, but not the big leaps.

Simple, inescapable inflation, coupled with the additional costs brought on by Brexit. It’s almost impossible to sell profitably most items worth buying for only a pound now, and within a year or two it’ll be much worse because of rising costs all round.

Probably not long before the standard prices are £2 and £5.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Doc_N said:

Simple, inescapable inflation, coupled with the additional costs brought on by Brexit. It’s almost impossible to sell profitably most items worth buying for only a pound now, and within a year or two it’ll be much worse because of rising costs all round.

This was happening long before brexit, and the pandemic.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    pamsdish said:
    Doc_N said:

But the pandemic has made it far worse, and Brexit worse still.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Doc_N said:
    pamsdish said:
    Doc_N said:

But the pandemic has made it far worse, and Brexit worse still.
    Sling in the Russo-Ukraine war and you have the perfect storm. Also contextualises my complaint - other people have real problems.

• MACKEM99
    MACKEM99 Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 May 2022 at 9:58AM
    Options
    Does make me laugh when people complain that food and choc etc has shrunk over the years.  They don't seem to take into account the fact that the item is still £1?

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I still visit poundland weekly. They sell locally produced milk at £1 per 2 litres and I can't do better than that. I have a look around and usually find something I want for the house, or car or garden, at £1

I'm nearly through replacing all cfl bulbs with poundland £1 leds - more light instantly and at less wattage.

Cheapest place I could find for a new usb cable
  • Rosa_Damascena
    edited 21 May 2022 at 7:36PM
    Options
    Good to see you back, @LouLou . The same Rimmel product was hoiked up to a massive £5 in my local store.

Something I noticed on my last visit was a pair of cleaning pads in a bamboo bag for £2. I think they are a me-too of Face Halo but the pack made no such claims.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport