We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Half Price MOT from Nationwide Autocentres

13»

Comments

  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,252
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    chardonnay wrote: »
    re using clubcard vouchers if your car fails it's mot can you use clubcard vouchers for the repairs needed for it to pass?

    Nope :(
  • deanos wrote: »
    Nope :(

    anybody got a spare voucher would really apppreciate it will pay postage. pm me!
  • anyone got one?
  • azureus
    azureus Posts: 27 Forumite
    anyone got one?

    uSE THIS AND PRINT OFF YOUR OWN:

    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/mot/mot_centre.jsp
  • I would advise against this offer after my wife took her car to the Nationwide in Bristol....

    They failed it on a rear centre seat belt....MOT tester said it wouldn't plug in, so ordered a new part for £55. Thankfully it didnt arrive the same day so when I checked the car at home, it was actually because the MOT tester had been using the wrong seat belt buckle, not the one marked 'centre'....It's not as if we had an uncommon car...I think it is a bit of a scam to earn that extra money....They also sold my wife a product which they apparently put into the petrol to make the engine run better (£18).....now, Redex does that, but doesn't cost that much!!!

    half price MOT it may be, but top it up with 'other' fees and it's no longer such a good deal!
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,252
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    maybe he made a genuine mistake ?

    you wife should have said no to the upsell, she didnt have to buy it
  • industrial_gypsy
    industrial_gypsy Posts: 4
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Newbie
    edited 21 April 2011 at 8:05AM
    I just thought I'd share my experience at the above centre. I fell for the old half price MOT scam but I was convinced they couldn’t possibly find anything wrong with my car. Sure enough, they failed it on headlight alignment and a noisey wheel bearing. The told me the headlight leveling would cost £20 to sort but they would have to price the bearing replacement. I reluctantly paid the £27.42 and left.

    Gateshead Council’s MOT centre passed the car two days later stating there was absolutely nothing wrong with the car.

    Now VOSA, in my opinion and deliberately making the appeal process as difficult as possible as you have to pay £55 just to file a complaint, enough to put most people off I suspect. They claim the the fee is for a re-test but I would very much doubt if that ever leads to a successful claim.

    I therefore emailed a complaint to Halfraud’s Customer Services and VOSA. A few days later I get a call from the Halfraud’s regional manager asking me to take the car back in to be checked out. If the centre manager deemed the car to be OK, they would refund my initial fee. I did this and he did his best to convince me that a miniscule difference in noise from offside to nearside front wheel bearing constituted an MOT fail. After another discussion with the regional manager I received my money back, even he couldn’t defend it and just wanted me quiet and out of the building.

    The whole MOT system in this country is totally corrupt. The only places which should be allowed to carry out MOT tests are those who don’t survive on money from repairs, it’s a total conflict of interests.

    VOSA are also turning a blind eye to the national scam that’s going on.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.