Problems with ADSL light on router

Hoping someone can give me some advice.

We have a Belkin router that we connect to wirelessly. Every couple of months, for about 48 hours, the ADSL light will not come on, (no flashing or solid light) as though it is not receiving an ADSL signal from our BT line. After about 48 hours the signal reappears, just as though something has been switched off and then switched on again.

I have tried using the router at the house next door and it works fine there, so I know it is not a problem with the router. I have also plugged the router into the first socket which comes in to the house without any other equipment connected and there is still no signal.

I have contacted our broadband provider (Madasafish) - they say they have done a line check and everything is ok. I have contacted BT who have also checked the line and say that the line appears to be ok.

We lost the signal again this week, from Tuesday evening until this afternoon (Thursday). At the moment everything is working ok again. I had arranged for a BT engineer to visit us on Saturday but I am not sure whether to keep this appointment now that we are receiving a signal again.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this?? Does the ADSL signal come from BT or does it come from our broadband provider?

Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• paxy
    paxy Posts: 39 Forumite
    Sounds like in your case the ADSL signal comes from BT. Does it go off when it rains? Sometimes this can cause the line to worsen to a point where ADSL won't work. Is there any work scheduled on your exchange? I lost mine for two days and it appears BT were doing 'things' at the exhcnage. See http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Persist with your ISP (who will need to contact BT on your behalf). Hope they come out when it is gone! See if you can get the number of a friendly engineer who may be willing to run some tests at the point it goes down at short notice.
  • Thanks for your reply.

It has rained a lot this week, that was something I hadn't thought about, so maybe that is the answer. I think I will cancel the BT engineer's visit on Saturday as everything is still working ok again and I have been warned by BT that I could be charged for the visit. BT won't admit to doing any work on the exchange, in fact, I find it quite frustrating speaking to them because they just say they have checked the line and up to my house it is fine but I refuse to believe it is a problem within our house. The way it suddenly goes off and then mysteriously reappears suggests to me it is a problem with the line.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a similar problem, would be interesting to compare whether we are on the same exchange........I am in the PO9 area, where are you?

Been on BT ADSL for donkey years (at least 5 years), and the connection generally stays up for weeks on end. But sometimes - and specifically for a whole month over the last 6 weeks, my connection drops every couple of hours. I then turn off the router (I have a wireless Linksys modem/router), leave it off for at least 10 minutes, then turn it back on and all is ok again. For a couple of hours........

It got so bad recently that I was about to buy a new modem/router. However, for the last two weeks, x fingers, everything has been a-ok, without any re-booting of the router.

I checked just about everything - called BT (who deny it's any of their fault), verified I have the latest firmware on my router, moved the router around, moved other equipment (DECT phone) around, all to no avail.

I can confirm the 'rain theory' as a possible cause for ADSL outages - though that wasn't the cause of my most recent problems. A couple of years back, I had a prolonged outage, which was caused by a bare telephone cable, up a tree round the corner. The cable cover had been rubbed off by the movement of the tree branches, and whenever it got wet, I had no ADSL. But BT fixed that one, the cable doesn't go through any trees now. Could the cables leading to your house be damaged similarly?

When your outages happen, have you tried to re-boot your router, or did you just wait for things to rectify themselves? If the latter, give the re-booting a try.

Hope you get the root cause established and the problem fixed soon, it's sooo frustrating when you can't get on the net.
  • well I'm about 8 miles away from you (innovate) and I had an outage last week - cured by rebooting the router thoughMY ISP F2S did record a possible problem but it was at Kingston and seemed to apply to everyone in the south central area.

I have to reboot my router about twice a year and is always my first action when the ADSL goes down
    TANSTAAFL !
  • paxy
    paxy Posts: 39 Forumite
    Just to let you know my experience...

I had made no changes to the router and all firmware was up-to-date. Router light went out and I reported it to ISP who got me to try other routers etc etc without any resolution.

They reported it to BT. Before BT got to investigate it started working again (it wasn't raining all week!). I informed ISP who closed ticket. BT investigated about a week later and claimed to have fixed something - not sure what as it had been all up and running again for a few days. Been fine since.
  • I am in the Blackpool area. When the outages do occur, I do re-set the router but that does not help. We have no signal at all for usually a couple of days at a time and then it just reappears. I know that this week when it went off it had rained very heavily but I can't remember what the weather was like on the previous times. I will definitely keep an eye on this in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure