Worth buying an ISA?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
4 replies 879 views
cs12cs12 Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
As a non taxpayer with savings in stocks and shares is it worth buying an ISA?

Replies

• AegisAegis Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    cs12 wrote: »
    As a non taxpayer with savings in stocks and shares is it worth buying an ISA?
    Are you ever likely to be a taxpayer?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • cs12cs12 Forumite
    4 Posts
    Right - it may be that i will be liable for capital gains tax.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Any income generated within the ISA will not go towards your income for tax purposes. WHilst you are not a tax payer now you may be in future (state pensions can often take people into tax payer position).

Also, for fixed interest funds, the tax is reclaimed at source within an ISA so you dont have to claim it back for a tax return if held outside of an ISA.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • cs12cs12 Forumite
    4 Posts
    Thanks for that reply; a few years to go before the pension days but that has explained a few things!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals